CJ5 suspension - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 suspension

Advance Adapters SYE KitsOconee Off-Road Jeep Night!SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 03-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
rkbell
1977 CJ5 

CJ5 suspension

I remember someone commenting on how much lift would be needed to run 33's on a CJ5 not too long ago. I commented that mine was running 33's with no lift that I could tell unless it was all in the springs which I knew nothing about having just picked the Jeep up a couple weeks earlier.

Update: I'm to the point where I want to replace my bushings and even go with 2.5" springs. After digging deeper, my front end has 9 leaf spring packs and the rear has 7 leaf packs. The front still has the OEM shackles but the rear has god awful long shackles. Is this an aftermarket lift that the PO installed? I want to keep 33's on it but I'm afraid new 2.5" springs may actually lower the Jeep from how it sits now, especially if I replace the rear shackles with OEM or similar.

Here's a picture from when I first picked it up. Can anyone help me out by letting me know if you think this thing is already lifted? Also, the steering wheel is exactly 180 degree off (upside down) which leads me to believe a lift has been installed but no steering adjustments etc.

Unread 03-08-2009, 10:23 AM   #2
Performance
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I had 33s on mine for a while at stock height. The fender flares where right at the top of the tires. So, yours appears to have some type of lift front and rear. Looks to be the front has 2.5" lift springs and the rear has 2.5" lift shackles. You will be just fine by going with OEM shackles and using a 2.5" spring lift all the way around.

Here is a pic of mine with a 2.5" Rancho spring lift with the 33x12.50 tires. Plenty of room for the 33s.

Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
rkbell
1977 CJ5 

Perfect, thanks. Purty 5 by the way. Someday.....
Unread 03-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
rkbell
1977 CJ5 

After a bit more research, I think the stock setup would have been 9 pack leaves on the back and 7 packs on the front. Going with what the OP said, could it be that the PO swapped front for rear (right now 9 packs on front and 7 packs on rear w/long shackles in rear)? Are the lengths the same (not in town right now so I can't measure). I'm happy with the height and If this is the case, I'm thinking of simply replacing all bushings and maybe figuring out a better setup for the rear (better shackles and possibly helpers). No sense buying a complete new 2.5" spring lift if in essence, I kind of sort of have that already.

BTW, I replaced the old shocks with new Skyjacker Hydro 7000's and what an unbelievable difference in driveability. I imagine getting the shacles and bushings (which are completely shot) right, the ride will actually become quite enjoyable!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.