cj5 steering wander - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj5 steering wander

The Boss is away but Erin is here to STAY with a F.Y.S. SaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-15-2015, 03:55 PM   #1
dons76
1976 CJ5 

cj5 steering wander

hey gang I have read all the sticky on this subject and at this time I cannot measure the caster angle but I do have a question. My jeep is 1976 cj5 with a 304 the suspension is stock except for a shackle reverse kit on the front end. I have a fiberglass body on it, do you think that the weight of the body is a lot lighter could this cause the caster angle to change? I also have 12x33 tires. thanks don

dons76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2015, 04:47 PM   #2
AKjeff
1974 CJ5 

Is the steering wander new? Did it start after doing any work on the Jeep, or has it done it since you bought it?
My CJ5 had a bad wander when I bought it. Adjusting the steering box didn't help but adjusting the wheel bearings did.
AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2015, 02:25 PM   #3
dons76
1976 CJ5 

It has had the wander since i got it.the only front end work i have done is the shackle reversal,the wander wasn't as bad with the stock tires but i a lot worse with the larger tires the last time i checked the front end components were all tight.
Unread 03-16-2015, 04:18 PM   #4
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Chances are good that the reverse shackles reduced your caster angle, and the larger tires compounded the problem.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2015, 05:25 PM   #5
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

I agree with Matt. The tub weight shouldn't really be a factor.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2015, 06:31 PM   #6
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

If the shackle reversal put the shackle hanger eyes below the frame (rather than passing through the frame) it won't reduce caster......it will increase it.

What kind of tread is left on the bigger tires you put on?.....wider tires with low tread have more of a tendency to follow ruts I the road surface.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2015, 06:47 PM   #7
dons76
1976 CJ5 

the tires have most of the original tread on them as I haven't driven the jeep to much.i would like to thank all of you for taking the time to answer my question when all this snow melts I will be able to get to the jeep and then measure the caster.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.