CJ5 Starter Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 Starter Issue

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-13-2003, 01:13 PM   #1
canuk01

CJ5 Starter Issue

I have a 1978 CJ5, the starter solenoid failed and I replaced it with a new one. The issues is that the solenoid will not work. If I apply 12V from the battery it engages. I measured the voltage that is coming to the solenoid and it reads 12v. It's not a ground issue on the solenoid. Could there be a voltage drop somewhere in the ignition circuit?

HELP

canuk01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2003, 04:46 PM   #2
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

on the sol you have 2 post in the middle s = switch and I = ingition see if you are getting voltage at the s terminal if not back track the wiring to find were you are losing it it is a lt blue wire and ck under the dash for a plug that has a jumper in it it is the neutral safity switch if the plug is not in it will not start eather then to ing switch it self
and make shur the sol is grounded good the case is the ground for the sol
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2003, 04:59 PM   #3
canuk01

Thanks Fuzz401...
I do have 12v at the blue wire, but it will not activate the solenoid. If I connect a wire to the '+' terminal of the battery to the selenoid it will activate.
Thats my issue, the blue wire from the ignition (which shows 12V when I put the key switch in start position) will not activate the solenoid. If the blue wire delivers the 12V could there be some loss that makes it to weak at the solenoid?

Very puzzling to me?
canuk01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.