Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Cj5 seat frames

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  OleBlue73 
#1 ·
I have a 1972 cj5. The previous owner chopped up and welded together 76+ seat frames and it just isn't working, I can't fit. I have found that finding seat frames for a 72 cj5 is not easy. Does anybody have any suggestions? Has anybody made there own or have original ones to sell?

#2 ·
If you are over 6' tall or a big guy you will find that its a tight squeeze in a CJ5 especially with the non tilt intermediate column that sticks way out and the larger than normal steering wheel they used with the seats in the stock location. People with metal tubs will sometimes notch the wheelwell behind the seat to allow the seat to go back further. Not sure how your firberglass tub is constructed or if that is feasible in fiberglass but it may be something you want to look into. The stock seat frame in the intermediate CJ5 rests on the top edge of the door opening and is a potential weak spot on a fiberglass tub. You can search for fiberglass tub seat brackets and you will see that those kind run from the floor up to the seat track mounting surface and then down to the vertical face of the rise that is behind the floorpan. I am sure someone could bend you up a set that has the same shape in the front but without the vertical section int he back so you could bolt it to the horizontal part of the tub farther back. I am going to make something exactly like that when I put seats in my fiberglass CJ6 tub.

Make sure you have large washers and grade 8 bolts ont he seat frames and seat belts so they do not pull through if you get in an accident.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.