CJ5 roll cage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 roll cage

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 01-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
TxJeeper20
1982 CJ5 

CJ5 roll cage

I am putting a bit more power under the hood of my 5. I was thinking or making 2 bars that tie into the original rollbar but I dont want them going to the floor the door opening is small as is, mabye bolt to both the the windshield frame or dash
any suggestkions with picks I plan on keeping it street only

2003 Honda VTX 1300R
2005 Infiniti G35
TxJeeper20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

I bent mine under the dash. Have built three this way now. Leaves plenty of leg room. Works well.

The front hoop is two pieces welded above the rearview mirror with a dash bar (for some reason not pictured in this photo) just below the windshield. Three spreaders. Pair of floor plates above and below.

Note the position of my stepson's foot in this photo. No compromise to door opening:
Unread 01-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #3
oilfieldhand
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawkclint View Post
I bent mine under the dash. Have built three this way now. Leaves plenty of leg room. Works well.

The front hoop is two pieces welded above the rearview mirror with a dash bar (for some reason not pictured in this photo) just below the windshield. Three spreaders. Pair of floor plates above and below.

Note the position of my stepson's foot in this photo. No compromise to door opening:
Sorry to jack you thread but i have to as a couple ??

Hows that thing sound with those mufflers? what kind are they? what kind of headers?
oilfieldhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

Those headers were vintage '80s, I can't remember the name now, but I remember when I researched them they had gone out of business or at least discontinued the line of headers.

The problem with the design was that they put a lot of leverage on the headers. No matter how much I built different muffler hangers, the weight of the mufflers and tail pipes were causing cracks in the headers when bouncing around off road. Tube #6 on the passenger side in particular was always leaking. They were loud, but the bigger turnoff was smelling exhaust all the time. I am running stock cast iron manifolds now with in frame full exhaust and a stock quiet muffler that exits out the back, and have never been happier.
Unread 01-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
Subaruski

Looks great, almost factory look.
Subaruski is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.