CJ5 rear drum to disk ??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 rear drum to disk ???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 07-02-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
dbd
1979 CJ5 

CJ5 rear drum to disk ???

Hi Guys,

Wanted to ask how difficult doing a rear drum replacement to disk brakes is?

The wheel cyl on the rear of my 5 are leaking and are pretty poor at best.

Since I dont have the hardware to make the bracket to mount the calliper, does any one out there fab it or sell one?

I love to hear from the guys out there who have done this mod to see if it was really worth the time and money.

Thanks Dave

dbd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
Sennstrom
1974 DJ 

Im interested in this As well.

I want to know if its Worth it to do it performance and efficiency wise.

thanks!
Unread 07-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

I have done and helped install some kits from this guy on a few 50s and 60s muscle cars but not on a Jeep. Nice stuff and his web has a lot of good info. I like him because you can use as much or outsource as much as you want. He is not just selling a kit. http://www.tsmmfg.com/
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
Dad03
1975 CJ5 

I bought the rear disk kit from tsmmfg. I had a few issues with his caliper bracket. If I recall there are 6 bolts on the housing and his bracket only lines up with 5. Had to drill for the 6th. Other than that they are great. I bought the calipers with the parking brake. Still trying to get those working correctly but its my cables not the calipers.
He ships immediately vs waiting several weeks for other kits. They also are helpful with questions.

Pretty easy to install once I figured out only 5 holes lined up.
Dad03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
dbd
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad03 View Post
I bought the rear disk kit from tsmmfg. I had a few issues with his caliper bracket. If I recall there are 6 bolts on the housing and his bracket only lines up with 5. Had to drill for the 6th. Other than that they are great. I bought the calipers with the parking brake. Still trying to get those working correctly but its my cables not the calipers.
He ships immediately vs waiting several weeks for other kits. They also are helpful with questions.

Pretty easy to install once I figured out only 5 holes lined up.
Dad03, do you happen to have a web link to his site? Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you purchased all the parts you needed for the upgrade from one place? What did you install them on?
dbd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
Curt Reinhardt
1978 CJ5 

Web link in post #3 above.
Curt Reinhardt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
Dad03
1975 CJ5 

They sell the entire kit. I installed them on my CJ 5 with the Dana 44. I think you can get the entire kit for around 500 if you don't want the parking brake option on the calipers.
Dad03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2009, 07:58 AM   #8
MontanaCJ5
1974 CJ5 

I put a Stainless Steel Brake kit on the rear of my 74. They run about $750 and include Lincoln rear calipers with emergency brakes, rotors, and everything else. I had to machine shims to get the axle end play right, and also machine down the axle flanges. I am not at all impressed with the two-piece caliper brackets, which did not quite fit and look a bit on the flimsy side.
I can't tell you how it works until I finish building the vehicle...
MontanaCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.