Cj5 Project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cj5 Project

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-30-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
Jerry Reaves

Cj5 Project

I am rebuilding my 1983 CJ5 from ground up have a 4in lift and 1 in body lift and 2in shackle lift this jeep has not got power steering and I have a set of 35s that I have already purchased do you think it will be hard to steer or will I have steering problems also someone has removed the sway bar from the front end for some reason will this be a problem?

Jerry Reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 06:53 PM   #2
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Jerry, Power steering should not be that big a deal, nice to have but not necessary even with 35's.
I'd make sure you have a good caster setting with those 2" shackle lifts, and power assist brakes to stop those 35's.

And yes, find yourself a sway bar.
Unread 09-30-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
supraman1990
1980 CJ5 

That jeep will be so top-heavy it is pathetic. Not to mention that the 2 inch lift shackles will throw the over-all steering geometry off horribly. You will have an issue at low speeds with handling, it will be hard as **** to drive. Also, with 7 inches of overall lift, you are in 37 inch tire territory. The shackle lift isn't really needed for a 35. The roll-over risk on that Jeep will be crazy.
On the back burner for college.
supraman1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 08:29 PM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

If steering "oomph" is an issue, it is really easy to convert a CJ to power steering. You can source the parts off another CJ and swap the stuff over in an afternoon. I see CJ power steering stuff on eBay all the time.
I used to drive my old 71 short-nosed CJ5 around on 35s for a few years.. before I put the 42s on it. I ran those tires with a SOA lift, Narrowtrac width, wheel spacers and offset rims. I paid attention while I was driving but it wasn't too bad. I even drove it down the highway a few times at about 65mph.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.