A few months ago I bought a 1977 CJ5that my boss had just sitting on his property. I paid him $1000 for it, loaded it on my buddy's trailer and brought it home. She was rough, and didn't run; Hell, some major parts were missing. But I bought it for a project and I was not disappointed. I dished out an extra $450 for a spare trans and transfer case that both need a rebuild... I still think I got a deal. The first project I tackled was the lighting and electrical system. Only the headlights worked, most of the other light fixtures were gone. I syphoned the bad gas/water out of the tank, but I still had a problem with the carb, But my major issue was the parking braks system. I completely replaced what was left of the cables, got new rear brakes, drums, and the parking brake parts inside the drums; not to mention the pedal assembly. When I finally got the brakes and wheels back on the rig today, I noticed that the brake hose in the rear has been cut, and there is no longer anything connecting the rear brakes to the system. I guess the guy that my boss bought this one from thought that rear brakes weren't really needed.
Carb and seatbelts are coming this week, but I'm leaving town for business soon, so I have to wait until I come back to find out where the rear brake line is clogged. I will post updates and photos when I get a chance.
Well, I got my parking brake hooked up today, and pulled off the fender flares. They were old and cracked. I'll eventually replace them. I tried to remove what was left of the old seat belts. I got the outboard pieces off, but the inboard bolts are called with crud, and I broke another t50 socket. Anyone have a good idea on how to get those out? I still have a few days until I get my new seat belts in. I guess it's time to start assembling my spare transmission.
Actually, an impact driver should do it. I borrowed a manual one from my father-in-law years ago to remove a door striker and latch from a car I was working on. It looks like an all metal screw driver, but you whack it with a hammer and it breaks the bolts free. The tips were impact rated and I never broke one. Did the trick nicely.
I creatively relocated the inboard seatbelt mounts. That is now legal. The only things I have left to do before I go for the inspection are the tires, and connect the rear brake hose and hope it works. I hope to have it registered and on the road before the end of the summer.