cj5 power steering conversion...??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj5 power steering conversion...???

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 06-15-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
jbone1283
1967 CJ5 

cj5 power steering conversion...???

is it possible to convert the manual steering of my 67 cj5 to power steering? it has a dauntless V6 and dana 27 front axle. Will a later model cj5 power steering equipment bolt on to mine? is there a kit I can buy out there? any info will help, thanks

jbone1283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbone1283 View Post
is it possible to convert the manual steering of my 67 cj5 to power steering? it has a dauntless V6 and dana 27 front axle. Will a later model cj5 power steering equipment bolt on to mine? is there a kit I can buy out there? any info will help, thanks
If you were to find a later Buick-powered V6 Jeep with power steering, that's what you would want (like a Jeepster or Commando, etc). Otherwise, PS systems from Buick passenger casrs that used the 225 (prior to Jeep) or 231 will fit your motor, so you can hit the junkyards for a later-70's to mid-80's Buick and probably score a bunch of useful stuff, such as a HEI distributor as well.

Below is a picture of a 225 bolted into a 1966 CJ-5 chassis, but that motor is actually from a 1964 Buick passenger car (same engine that became an option for CJ's in 1966 anyway). That's representative of what you are looking for if you find yourself dealing with the older stuff.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
CSP

Nothing is going to be a bolt on. Your '67 has Ross steering with the steering box below the firewall and the goofy bellcrank setup if it's stock.

Converting to power will also require converting to a Saginaw box which will mount in front of the front crossmember. Welding is required as is modification of the steering linkage connecting the box to the knuckles.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Nothing is going to be a bolt on. Your '67 has Ross steering with the steering box below the firewall and the goofy bellcrank setup if it's stock.

Converting to power will also require converting to a Saginaw box which will mount in front of the front crossmember. Welding is required as is modification of the steering linkage connecting the box to the knuckles.
Good point about the box. I was focused on the motor half. The motor parts will be a bolt-on, though.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.