CJ5 Parts Compatibility Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 Parts Compatibility Question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 02-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
mthomp83
2010 JK Wrangler 

CJ5 Parts Compatibility Question

My 1977 CJ5 needs some work on the steering most of all. I'll be going to a HUGE salvage yard on Saturday to look around for a mainly a new steering column for the jeep. If anyone is familiar with Pull-a-Part, this is where I'll be going. They do not have many CJ's (if any) in their inventory.

This may be a dumb question, but can I use parts from another type of vehicle for this? It's hard to find a reasonably priced steering column when you are on a budget. I have read that the old jeep steering columns were made by Saginaw and could be replaced with a steering column from a GM vehicle. Is that accurate? The PO put an automatic (what looks to be GM steering column due to the steering wheel being from a Chevy) in the jeep even though it's a 3spd manual so I would assume that this is true.

Obviously using OE parts would be best but even a reman steering column costs upwards of $300 and I'm not looking to spend that much.

Would a late 80's-mid 90's column and steering box from a Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Wagoneer, or Comanche be compatible for my CJ?

Any suggestions or comments? Thanks!

mthomp83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
CJ258
1974 CJ5 

It's times like that that I wished I had a Hollander Interchange Manual like the junkyards used to keep around. You could look up the parts you need on Kragen Auto website, they often have a link to "Other vehicles that use this part" in the description. Hope that helps.
CJ258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
CSP

You can look up parts on www.car-part.com and their website uses the Hollander interchange manual to find compatible parts.

Sometimes libraries also have the interchange manual.

I've found that many Saginaw columns work with very little modification necessary.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
rishar1
1973 CJ5 

Gm steering colums will work in a CJ. My 80 Cj 5 has a monte carlo steering column in it.
rishar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
mthomp83
2010 JK Wrangler 

So I found a steering column through car-part.com for $150 from a 77 CJ7, the guys said that it's compatible with the CJ5 of the same year because he had a hollander exchange manual with him.

He said that he just pulled it in a few days ago because some guy rolled it. Anything that I should be worried about?
mthomp83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.