CJ5 no parking lights issue or hi beam...please see detailed description..need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 no parking lights issue or hi beam...please see detailed description..need help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
hawkijon
1979 CJ5 

CJ5 no parking lights issue or hi beam...please see detailed description..need help

Hello all, this Forum has hit the nail on the head for just about every one of my fix-it problems except (one) main issue. When i purchased the jeep it was in the day time, so the i checked the obvious headlights (check), brake lights (check), left and right turn signal (check). i figured anything that could be wrong would be a switch or wiring fix. So the money was handed over and off I went on my way home, only to find that a Jeep doesnt run very well with a hot/old ignition module, which i have since replace. the problem i came to notice was one evening i went for a cruise and with my head lights on i noticed
-parking lamps did not work
-taillights on driver would go bright as if my foot was on the brake and the passenger was dim.
-left and right turn signal did not work.
-foot dimmer switch only works on low beams and is off on the other click
when i turned the headlights off the taillights would go back to working properly.
-hazards do work, but i understand those are on a different circuit.

after browsing the forums ive come to the conclusion that i have bad ground, turn signal switch, dimmer switch, and headlight switch. i replaced the headlight switch and dimmer switch. whataya know i have high and low beams now as well as dash panel lights, but still no brake light function or blinkers with headlights on. My next step after reading the forums was to search out my grounds. ive come to find out that the tail lights ground through a metal plate in the light housing which in turn grounds through the head of the screw and contact with the body. well the guy before me didnt have that screw tight on the passenger side. after cleaning it up now i have (2) tail lights that are bright as if the brakes are on, when the head lights are on, and now no blinkers at all with the headlights off or on?????? so naturally another trip to orielly to purchase the turn signal switch. i also found some ****ty wiring job at the back that had bare wire showing where the original owner attempted to cut in trailer light connectors. i plan to pull no trailer with this jeep, so that was removed and cleaned up. i cleaned all fuse sockets and renewed all fuses. i plugged in the turn signal switch, and before i put the steering wheel assembly back together i tried testing it while out of the column. in the expected moment of glory hoping this was the cure all, i was let down yet again by another switch that didnt solve the problem. so i said f**k it and installed the switch and steering wheel components back together and whataya know i have brake lights and blinkers (fast as if a bulb was out) that work with the head lights on and off, but still no parking lights. i didnt see any grounding point on the signal switch, but if it works now, so be it. but now my problem is my head lights only function on low setting and turns to off on the high setting...this switch is brand new WTF! do i buy another switch or is this a sign that something else is wrong. after doing research i believe ive come to the understanding that the parking lights, turn and brakes run on the same circuit. i have taken notice my side marker lights, they are absent. they are either hanging with what connector is left from years of non use and batting on the tire while driving. or there is no connector at all and just (2) wires. would the fact that these bulbs are not in effect the parking light issue?? i read a thread about bypassing the headlight switch by running a hot wire from the +batt. terminal to the hot side(green wire) of the side marker light socket and it should power all of the running lights. well i made a hot wire from the batt. to the driver side marker plug, and it lit up only my driver side(left turn) signal light. so i assume having bulbs in all the side marker lights would complete the circuit? so where im at now (cussing electricity) is still no parking lamps and oddly even with a new switch now my headlights work on low beams only, but atleast i have my turn signals and brakes. this simple afternoon light wiring project has turned in to more than a hemorrhoid. so any info would be greatly appreciated. i apologize for being long winded, but i figured its better to put it all out there the first time. thanks in advance

hawkijon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkijon View Post
Hello all, this Forum has hit the nail on the head for just about every one of my fix-it problems except (one) main issue.

When i purchased the jeep it was in the day time, so the i checked the obvious headlights (check), brake lights (check), left and right turn signal (check). i figured anything that could be wrong would be a switch or wiring fix.

So the money was handed over and off I went on my way home, only to find that a Jeep doesnt run very well with a hot/old ignition module, which i have since replace. the problem i came to notice was one evening i went for a cruise and with my head lights on i noticed
-parking lamps did not work
-taillights on driver would go bright as if my foot was on the brake and the passenger was dim.
-left and right turn signal did not work.
-foot dimmer switch only works on low beams and is off on the other click
when i turned the headlights off the taillights would go back to working properly.
-hazards do work, but i understand those are on a different circuit.

after browsing the forums ive come to the conclusion that i have bad ground, turn signal switch, dimmer switch, and headlight switch. i replaced the headlight switch and dimmer switch.

whataya know i have high and low beams now as well as dash panel lights, but still no brake light function or blinkers with headlights on.

My next step after reading the forums was to search out my grounds. ive come to find out that the tail lights ground through a metal plate in the light housing which in turn grounds through the head of the screw and contact with the body.

well the guy before me didnt have that screw tight on the passenger side. after cleaning it up now i have (2) tail lights that are bright as if the brakes are on, when the head lights are on, and now no blinkers at all with the headlights off or on?????? so naturally another trip to orielly to purchase the turn signal switch. i also found some ****ty wiring job at the back that had bare wire showing where the original owner attempted to cut in trailer light connectors. i plan to pull no trailer with this jeep, so that was removed and cleaned up.

i cleaned all fuse sockets and renewed all fuses. i plugged in the turn signal switch, and before i put the steering wheel assembly back together i tried testing it while out of the column. in the expected moment of glory hoping this was the cure all, i was let down yet again by another switch that didnt solve the problem.

so i said f**k it and installed the switch and steering wheel components back together and whataya know i have brake lights and blinkers (fast as if a bulb was out) that work with the head lights on and off, but still no parking lights.

i didnt see any grounding point on the signal switch, but if it works now, so be it. but now my problem is my head lights only function on low setting and turns to off on the high setting...this switch is brand new WTF! do i buy another switch or is this a sign that something else is wrong.

after doing research i believe ive come to the understanding that the parking lights, turn and brakes run on the same circuit.

i have taken notice my side marker lights, they are absent. they are either hanging with what connector is left from years of non use and batting on the tire while driving. or there is no connector at all and just (2) wires. would the fact that these bulbs are not in effect the parking light issue??

i read a thread about bypassing the headlight switch by running a hot wire from the +batt. terminal to the hot side(green wire) of the side marker light socket and it should power all of the running lights. well i made a hot wire from the batt. to the driver side marker plug, and it lit up only my driver side(left turn) signal light. so i assume having bulbs in all the side marker lights would complete the circuit?

so where im at now (cussing electricity) is still no parking lamps and oddly even with a new switch now my headlights work on low beams only, but at least i have my turn signals and brakes. this simple afternoon light wiring project has turned in to more than a hemorrhoid. so any info would be greatly appreciated.

i apologize for being long winded, but i figured its better to put it all out there the first time. thanks in advance
Did you ever come across the post about there being two switches for a 79 CJ?

One has a jumper for the parking lights, the other one does not.

If you got the wrong one, your parking lights would not work right.

Side marker lights are not needed to complete the circuit to get the front parking lights to work.

There is no ground for the turn signal switch.

The dimmer switch makes no sense, you had it working. Maybe it was defective. Get a test light and check the connections on the switch. Maybe with the new found grounds, it was too much power for the old terminals.

Make sure the right screw is in the front turn signal housing, If not the Light housing might not be grounded causing all sorts of strange things.

Actually the parking lights, Brake Lights and Turn signals ALL run on DIFFERENT circuits. Only the ground is common to all so one screwed up ground will mess with all the circuits.

Here is a quick and dirty schematic of the front turn Signal/ parking light/ Marker light circuit

Get a test light, you are going to need one.

Don't worry about being long winded but paragraphs help
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
hawkijon
1979 CJ5 

WOW!!! thanks so much for the quick reply. Fantastic information, one of those whoda thunk situations. i will keep you posted on the progress of figuring out this situation. thanks again
Unread 06-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
hawkijon
1979 CJ5 

Ok...Tylenol (gulp)....im still having issues with my parking lights. i have purchased both 1978 and 1980 headlight switches to eliminate the mentioned '79 1/2 switch issue. Neither switches function the parking lights, but the break lights and blinkers work properly with the '80 switch with headlights both off and on. when using the '78 switch with the headlights on, the tail lights have one dim, and one is "brake light" bright, as if i have a ground problem in the past, but with the headlights off, again it functions the brake lights and blinkers properly. im so lost in this now?? i took a hot wire from the battery and contacted the (parking light) spade connection in the plug that connects to headlight switch. after doing this i took my driver side (lightless) corner marker connection and wedged a male connector as a jumper between the 2 contact points resulting in the front driver side parking lamp to illuminate. my front passenger side marker light is missing the connector, but the (2) wires are there. i contacted these (2) wires together and now both of my front parking lamps are glowing bright. i walk around to the rear and my tail lights are showing dim (Driver) and bright (passenger), which is the same as when having the '78 headlight switch attached, so in my mind that tells me the '78 switch is possibly providing power to the front corner marker connection and the '80 is actually powering the dome in reference to the picture above, which is why the tail lights work fine with the headlights on and off with the '80 switch. so what i did was connect the '78 switch and sure enough with both corner markers jumped im getting parking lights up front, but still a mixed lighting in the rear??? oddly enough the '80 (left switch in pic above) switch matches directly the headlight switch that i originally removed. whos to say the previous owner didnt care about the parking lights and put in any switch that worked when and if he ever replaced the switch, so this may have been the wrong one to begin with. so in this situation what is causing my tail lights to be dim and bright with the '78 switch installed? above it says the side marker lights missing does not effect the parking lights, but i can get the parking lights to come on when i jump the side marker connections? im at a loss and very frustrated with this...hopefully someone has some suggestions or ideas..bad fuse box connection??

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.