CJ5 motor swap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 motor swap?

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-08-2003, 11:31 AM   #1
bamafan

CJ5 motor swap?

I recently purchased an '83 CJ5 with an unrepairable 4cyl-151, with a T-5 tranny and the Dana300 transfer. I was thinking of putting in a Ford 302. Is this a feasable option and will the tranny hold up? I've read where the Ford engine and the tranny bolt pattern is the same. Correct? I'm new to the Jeep world and not very knowledgable in mechanics (am learning) so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

bamafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2003, 01:34 PM   #2
MudLover

The T-5 doesn't stand a chance behind the 302. That particular T-5 is designed for use with the 4 cylinder and is not interchangable with the one used on the 6 cylinders (not that that matters here, just thought I'd throw it out). I have seen people do these swaps, but they aren't nearly as "easy" to do as the Chevy swaps. There have been a lot more parts made for the Chevy swaps to make them just that much easier. I'd say get rid of the engine and tranny, but keep that Dana 300. When upgrading to a V8, you may want to look into solid axles for the rear. The AMC 20 can only take so much on those 2-peice axles. I think the Ford 5.0 engines out of Mustangs and Explorers look pretty sweet under the hood of a Jeep, but like I said, Chevy swaps are said to be a much easier job.

Hope that helps,
Marc
[B][COLOR=darkred]Red Jeep Club Member #2[/COLOR][/B]
MudLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2003, 06:22 PM   #3
bamafan

[Thanks for the advice. I was wondering if the T-5 was stout enough. Next question is, what transmission would be good enough for the 302? The reason I was thinking of going with the 302 is that I have read where the drivetrain, after the engine, is essentially Ford so bolting up shouldn't be a problem and wouldn't require any adapters. Where going with a Chevy engine would require an adapter plate. I'm not partial to either type engine I just want to do it right, with somewhat minimal cost. Is the T-4 tranny strong enough? Any further advice is much appreciated. As I've said, I'm learning as I go so I'm looking to the Jeep community for guidance. Thanks, Shaun.
Unread 09-08-2003, 06:32 PM   #4
MudLover

T-4's not that much better than the T-5, it's the same just without the 5th gear overdrive. I'd say that the best tranny (the one I would love to have) is an NV4500 out of a Dodge truck (Granny first gear and 5th gear overdrive). It all depends on how much cash you wanna throw into this project. T-18a's are very strong and "popular". They have a granny first gear, which is good off-road. I think there is a Ford model of the T-18 but don't quote me on that one. Another strong tranny is the T-176 4 speed tranny. This is a pretty strong one and came with the 198? and up CJ's. These are both Jeep trannies, so I guess you'd still need an adapter. No matter what tranny you choose, Advanced Adapters most likely has what you'll need. Using an adapter's not as bad as it seems and may be easier than having to adapt non-Jeep tranies to the skidplate.

Hope that helps more,
Marc
[B][COLOR=darkred]Red Jeep Club Member #2[/COLOR][/B]
MudLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2003, 08:25 PM   #5
bamafan

Thanks Marc. I really appreciate the info. Shaun
Unread 09-09-2003, 04:27 AM   #6
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

bamafan,
The Ford 5.0L/302 is a good choice because it is lighter than the Jeep six and the Chebby SB. It is a smaller package than both engines and it will develope as much power as you can dream up.

The Ford 5.0/302 is becoming the leader in new engine swaps and adapters are availble for any combination of engine/trans you can can think of.

I am new to Jeep but have been with Ford for a long time.
My latest project is a Bobbed CJ8 w/YJ nose, powered by you guessed it, a Ford 5.0L. I am using an Nv4500 trans, adapters from Advanced Adapters, so a Ford engine with a Dodge trans, see any combination is possible.

Lot of Luck,
Keep the Site informed of your progress.

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 05:18 AM   #7
sequoia123

Question, I have a 1974 cj5 and the 304 just went kaput ,needs a rebuild.. Would really like something w/ better gas mileage, and a somewhat painless swap would be nice too. what would be the easiest swap for me ,besides a 304 or 360. I am a welder so a mount or two wont be a problem. does anything bolt right up to the original 3 speed tranny? I think its the T15. i do not need the v8, would love an i6.
sequoia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
Rattyflatty
1948 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
I recently purchased an '83 CJ5 with an unrepairable 4cyl-151, with a T-5 tranny and the Dana300 transfer. I was thinking of putting in a Ford 302. Is this a feasable option and will the tranny hold up? I've read where the Ford engine and the tranny bolt pattern is the same. Correct? I'm new to the Jeep world and not very knowledgable in mechanics (am learning) so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
First decide if you need/want an overdrive trans. This will clear up a lot of options.

If you don't need the OD then I think your best option is to find a 80's-90's Ford 302/4spd combo. Most likely it will be a NP435 but you might find T-19's in the early 80's stuff, both are good tranys. They are easy to spot as it is an iron box trany and is easily adapted to a 300 with the help from Novak or AA.

If you feel you need OD then go with the NV4500.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.