CJ5 Manual Tranny Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 Manual Tranny Questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-22-2008, 06:32 AM   #1
CJ5Freak
1981 CJ5 

CJ5 Manual Tranny Questions

I just picked up my first CJ5 a few days ago. From what I was told it was a 1975. I get it home and my father was looking at the tranny and tranfer levers and mentioned that they looked like the new style. By the way its a 4 speed. So I got some tune up parts for a 75 and they werent correct. So I did some research and found that its a T176. So I got some parts for a 81 and they were correct. So the drivetrain is from a 81-86 or 81-84 im not sure. But anyways, I went out playing yesterday and the tranny got jammed up twice. So I take the cover off to find a chew up syncro and a gear that has seen better days. So the question is is there an older vintage tranny that I can use that will fit the Dana 300 I have? I would like to have a lower 1st gear if I could, and would like to keep the 300. Thanks alot

CJ5Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2008, 07:00 AM   #2
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I think the problem you face is the wheel base. A lot of trannies will fit witht he D300, but the overall length of them will then ultimately shorten the driveshaft length and possibly make the angles not so good.

The T176 is a good tranny, a T18 conversion could possibly work, but again, length and type of rear driveshaft and lift all factor in. The D300 never came with that vehicle in 75, so, it is all a bit of measuring to see what fits for what you want to do with it.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2008, 07:29 AM   #3
CJ5Freak
1981 CJ5 

Hmm sooo will an older tranny and a 20 transfer bolt up to the newer 258? If that could what would be my options at that point?
CJ5Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

What about rebuilding the T176 and doing a 4 to 1 kit in the D300? You could pick up the rebuild kit for about $200-$300 and a 4 to 1 kit for about $600. That would give you a nice street tranny with a decent crawl ratio offroad.

I think the T18/D300 combo is short enough to use in a CJ5 but you'd be looking at a $500 adapter, having to buy a T18 and having to modify front/rear driveshaft lengths.

You could run the Jeep T18/D20 setup behind your 258 but again, you'd have to modify driveshafts, modify/swap out tranny skids and find a T18/D20 for a decent price.. in decent shape.

The T176/D300 setup is really pretty good.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
sgtbookie
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hey CJ5freak, have you run your VIN number through one of the online decoders to figure out what you really have? Just in case what you were told was a 1975, is indeed a 75. http://www.cjoffroad.com/writeup.asp?WU_ID=13&noAdd=1

Ok just saw in your profile its a 75 with an 81 T176 trannie and TC.

- 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara #380 -
sgtbookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2008, 11:22 PM   #6
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

I hate to ask this question, but, is it really a 75 at all? Should have a large early style steering wheel with small diameter tube, external turn signal regulator, C channel frame, and external wiper motor. Might post some picts.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #7
CJ5Freak
1981 CJ5 

It has an aftermarket steering wheel, it has an external wiper motor right above the steering wheel, as far as the column havent noticed really how big or small the diameter is. Hmm I appreciate all the help you guys. New to the CJs although ive wanted one all my life.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.