CJ5 lift? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 lift?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-27-2013, 07:02 AM   #16
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

Is it the sane for the older Willys I have a cj3a and I've got the springs, spring plates and all the hangers and shackles what else might I need on the older cjs
Sorry not trying to hijack the thread but I've tried asking in my own post with no luck and all my research shows stuff for newer cj5s

fiddy5cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #17
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

aren't the older cjs set up on a different style spring? i would imagine you could swap to anything you want as long as you have a welder, though

"Just because something isn't a lie does not mean that it isn't deceptive. A liar knows that he is a liar, but one who speaks mere portions of truth in order to deceive is a craftsman of destruction". --I am not sure who said this but it properly describes our president.
superj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #18
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

Ya they are but it should be a matter of just changing the hangers and plates right or am I forgetting something
Unread 09-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #19
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigkahuna View Post
Thank you I will make note of that. Any recomendations for a YJ spring conversion for early CJ?
Earliest Jeep I have any experience with is '76. I don't think it would be a whole lot different, but I am just guessing. I understand at some point the earlier CJs had even narrower springs than mine, at which point I would think you would need a wider spring pad.

This is a great forum for early CJs. http://www.earlycj5.net
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #20
big_o_tom
1978 CJ7 

I had a 2.5" rancho with 33's, now I have a 4" skyjacker and 35's. I had to do a little wheel well trimming and I really like it. I think it rides better than the rancho. Got it and bushings and u bolts for $350 brand new off a guy that had decided not to lift his jeep!
big_o_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #21
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_o_tom
I had a 2.5" rancho with 33's, now I have a 4" skyjacker and 35's. I had to do a little wheel well trimming and I really like it. I think it rides better than the rancho. Got it and bushings and u bolts for $350 brand new off a guy that had decided not to lift his jeep!

What year jeep
Unread 09-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #22
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

looks like a 78

"Just because something isn't a lie does not mean that it isn't deceptive. A liar knows that he is a liar, but one who speaks mere portions of truth in order to deceive is a craftsman of destruction". --I am not sure who said this but it properly describes our president.
superj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #23
big_o_tom
1978 CJ7 

My jeeps a "78. I sold my 2.5" lift to a friend at work who has a cj5. I rode in his jeep today and I dont know if its the difference in springs or the added length of my cj7 but my jeep rides a lot better.
big_o_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 02:56 AM   #24
willp07
1964 CJ5 

Any CJ that is pre 76 (dont quote me on the year) will have 1.5" wide springs front and rear. 76 and on have 1.5" up front and 2.5" in back. YJ springs are 2.5" and have more thin leafs in the pack, with the same eye to eye length, the reason why they are a good swap. This results in a much better ride quality and flex off road. If swapping, youll have to get new spring and shackle hangers either front or front and rear depending on year and either bolt or weld them on after cutting the old hangers off. You will also want to consider but not necessarily required, welding on new spring perches on your axle or axles. This really is the way to go if your planning on lifting your CJ or just want a better ride.

Another option that is popular is going with wagoneer springs which are the same eye to eye length and width as the YJ springs but have an offset pin, giving you a slight 1.5-2" axle stretch if thats what your looking for as well, without moving hangers around. (again dont quote me on the exact number its off the top of my head and late right now, haha)

I saw some people spoke of SOA, which is what Ive done on mine. You need to be even more careful about going this route, because doing it correctly is even more expensive than an SUA lift, and a lot more work.

Finally, for most on here doing mixed road trail use, and mild to moderate trails, a YJ spring swap + lift is in my opinion the best route.

Buying quality springs is all about ride quality and longevity (lifespan) of the springs. RE, Alcan, Deaver are a few that come to mind.
willp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #25
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willp07 View Post
Any CJ that is pre 76 (dont quote me on the year) will have 1.5" wide springs front and rear. 76 and on have 1.5" up front and 2.5" in back. YJ springs are 2.5" and have more thin leafs in the pack, with the same eye to eye length, the reason why they are a good swap. This results in a much better ride quality and flex off road. If swapping, youll have to get new spring and shackle hangers either front or front and rear depending on year and either bolt or weld them on after cutting the old hangers off. You will also want to consider but not necessarily required, welding on new spring perches on your axle or axles. This really is the way to go if your planning on lifting your CJ or just want a better ride.
Just a minor correction here. 76 and later CJs have 2" spring up front and 2.5 in back. Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to keep the information accurate.
Unread 10-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #26
willp07
1964 CJ5 

No problem. I wrote that at work around 1am and ran out of coffee so the numbers start jumbling up on me, Haha.
willp07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.