CJ5 lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 lift?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
olyellercj5
1978 CJ5 

CJ5 lift?

Looking for a 4" lift that is reliable and won't break the bank. I need new shackles, leaf springs and all bushings right now. Anyone with experience with a low budget lift please let me know how it worked out. Looking at somewhere around $500 or less. Thanks

olyellercj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

You typically get what you pay for.

A low dollar lift is going to give you at least a poor quality ride, which means the ride quality will be hard, harsh and bumpy.

The other problem you might face is the one caused by using long shackles. Long shackles, sometimes used to lift a vehicle, will change the steering geometry and make the steering hard to control, hard to steer straight, and just not desirable.
Unread 09-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Hey man. Do you have your stock stuff? My son has a 76 cj5 with a 4" lift and wants stock height springs.
Unread 09-23-2013, 01:34 AM   #4
willp07
1964 CJ5 

Agree with above post about getting what you pay for. I would recommend however to switch to Yj springs all around, which will require new hangers up front, which can be had cheap if you are comfortable welding and or drilling to mount them. Will give a much nicer ride and flex. With 4" from stock there are other things though to consider:

1. Brake lines
2. drive shaft lengths
3. Possible lowering T-case
4. shimming leafs to get proper geometry back

Going to a 2-3" lift can be had for a much more reasonable price if your on a really tight budget. Just don't do it half a** cause youll regret it later.
willp07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
olyellercj5
1978 CJ5 

@ superj, still have stock stuff installed. Not worth the trouble they are pretty bad. I appreciate all the comments and the help. What I was really looking to find out is if anyone has used one of the cheaper lift kits. I know some may be better than others but to what extent. Rubicon lift kit is $1300 and doesn't come with shocks where-as tough country or rugged ridge with shocks can get for around $450. Some of the more expensive kits come with brake lines but that is the only difference i've really noticed. Seems there isn't enough info listed to really distinguish between the two. Both have military wrap leafs and t-case drop kits. I can weld/fabricate and may go that route but i've found nowadays it's almost the same price just to buy off the shelf. Thanks again for the help guys.
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willp07 View Post
...Just don't do it half a** cause you'll regret it later.
And if you sell the Jeep the next owner will regret the problems too, although I'm not sure it would really be a CJ if it didn't have some problems inflicted by the PO
Unread 09-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #7
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

I agree with Willp07. Low budget and 4" flexable lift don't really go together. Go with YJ springs and if you don't really need the height a 2-3 inch lift will be much more flexable. What are you trying to accomplish with the lift? Are you trying to super flex 33s, fit 35s?
Unread 09-25-2013, 12:48 AM   #8
olyellercj5
1978 CJ5 

What lift are you guys running? I have 33's on it right now. Not sure what previous owner did to the jeep. The tires fit, barely. No tire rub unless going downhill in a turn. Looking to get a lift since it has all the components I need to change anyways. Jeep is going to be/is daily driver with the ability to go off road (it is a jeep). I've looked at tough country 4" lift kit that is around $450 without shocks. It comes with EZ ride springs (teflon sliders between leafs) or can get heavy duty leafs. I did the math with heavy duty and they are approximately 1/2 inch thick. Seems tough to me. Others are 3/8 thick. I'll look into the YJ springs. Do you they make a conversion kit or do you have to have a donor? Thanks again.
Unread 09-25-2013, 01:11 AM   #9
olyellercj5
1978 CJ5 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ol...t-kit-1075038/ found this while doing more research. This guy spent some money, although he didn't say how much. I finally found one who said their rough country lift was crap so now i know for sure. Although I agree with everything you guys have said I just can't afford the "good" kits. I need to do something soon, at least change shackles at minimum. I'll keep looking
Unread 09-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #10
BuckeyeNative

1974 CJ5 

I am running the BDS 2 1/2" and it isn't too bad. They have a 4" kit http://bds-suspension.com/product?ma...3&yr=1976-1986 as well.
BuckeyeNative is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #11
Bigkahuna
1973 CJ5 

I will second third or fourth about buying quality. When I bought my 73 I think it had Rough Country 4". I ran it that way for a year and then threw them out. They were rough, like need a kidney belt rough. I am currently running re-arched stock springs and it did well off road with 33s and minimal rub. Articulation was pretty good. Based on that 2-3" should be enough and avoid center of gravity (upside down) issues. If you have four wheel drive but can't keep four wheels on the ground due to stiff springs do you have four wheel drive?

My next move is to go with the wider YJ springs.
http://www.rocky-road.com/yj-spring-...ion-55-75.html
Your jeep is slightly different but I think they offer a kit for that too.
Good luck, just hate to see anyone spend good money on bad rock hard suspension.
Bigkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

I am running SOA now but I did have a BDS 4" lift which on a CJ5 turns out to be closer to 5.25". OME (Old Man Emu), RE (Rubicon Express) and BDS are the three names you will hear when talking about a quality lift before you start thinking about custom ordered springs. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those 3. BDS even has a no questions asked replacement guarantee, you break it they replace it.

If you are staying with 33" tires do a 2.5" lift and then if you still rub add a 1" body lift. One thing to think about is how wide are your tires? 33s come in both 10.5 and 12.5 flavor. A 12.5 wide tire has a tendency to rub on narrow track axles. You can solve that by using wheel spacers. I used 2" spacers and had no problem, actually the wider stance was really nice.

Don't buy a YJ "conversion kit" it is a waste of money. Buy the YJ lift with YJ spring plates and a set of YJ front shackle hangers and you are all set. You will need to drill out the front cross member rivet and move the hangers forward 1" to accommodate the YJ springs.

Do a quick search for rocky-road.com on these forums before you buy from them. Fair warning.......
Unread 09-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #13
Bigkahuna
1973 CJ5 

Or..... If you are OK with Stock springs you could just pull out what you have and take them to a spring shop. They can even add SOME arch if you are looking to be a little higher. Might be your cheapest way out....

Sorry if the rocky-road.com was a bad recommendation.
Unread 09-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #14
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

don't sweat it BK, rock-road.com has a great website, they just have a lousy reputation for customer service.
Unread 09-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #15
Bigkahuna
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewtoy View Post
don't sweat it BK, rock-road.com has a great website, they just have a lousy reputation for customer service.

Thank you I will make note of that. Any recomendations for a YJ spring conversion for early CJ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.