Cj5 lift... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cj5 lift...

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 02-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
Greenough12
1983 CJ5 

Cj5 lift...

Anyone help me with advice on what lift to by for my 83 cj5 I wanna run 33-35 in tire. But is going to see a lot of highway time along with light off roading

Greenough12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
19in1979
1979 CJ7 

This would be the best place to start ...lots of great info in here.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f199/

Then, once you have a chance to do a little homework on your own, you can come back and you'll be able to ask some more specific questions. This isn't intended to be rude at all, but this exact question is asked at least once a week. It's like asking for a restaurant recommendation. You need to let the person you're asking know what you like, what city you're in, are you allergic to anything, etc. etc. etc.

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Wayne [/FONT]

[B]Living the dream at 8,500ft. elevation in beautiful Coal Creek Canyon, Colorado. [/B]
19in1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Mine is 2.5 bds spring with 0.5 shackle and I fit 33 super swampers just fine. If you have pre 80 narrow track axles you may need to look at your wheel depth or your tires will hit the springs when turned sharply. For 35s you would be best off with a 4 inch spring and maybe an extra 0.5 in shackle lift(actual shackle lift is half the overall extra length of the shackle).
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Or not..... you stick it on a CJ5 and you will probably bog on the highway and spend a fortune at the gas pump.

Read the threads and investigate your rig a bit, what axle ratios do you have and which tranny.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

Shackle lift will also change your pinion angle ao must be careful with that method
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #6
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
Or not..... you stick it on a CJ5 and you will probably bog on the highway and spend a fortune at the gas pump.

Read the threads and investigate your rig a bit, what axle ratios do you have and which tranny.
Your first comment kind of doesn't jive with the second one... I have 33's on mine and it doesn't bog at all and gets decent mileage.

that said, I have a 304 and 3.54 gears... it helps as you said in the second part to know what it is that he has, and therefore can have better advice applied.

Greenough12, read other threads, fill out your signature, and give all the pertinent info and then you will receive a whole lot of different opinions that will leave you scratching your head as there is no perfect hammer for that nail.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #7
Greenough12
1983 CJ5 

Yea thanks guys and all this is helping this is a frame up build and I can kinda go any direction from where I'm at now. But ill have plenty of power I have a 350 crate motor going in it and I'm running a fiberglass body
Unread 02-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I am in the process of doing a similar t hing on my Scrambler.
After all the research, it came out as the Rubicon Express 4.5 lift and a 1" body lift on the Scrambler to clear the 35's I wanted to run.

1986 axles, so Dana 44 out back and Dana 30 up front, widetracks, and converted front discs to the older style with 6 bolts hubs instead of 5 bolts.

Those are 15x10 procomps white waggies with 35" Baja claws on there now... it sits where I want it to.

All that said, I read a lot and didn't spare any expense. I did it the way I wanted to and didn't get there with a shackle lift or SOA, etc. I did it with the suspension and integreated a little bit higher body lift (yes the wood blocks are simulating a little higher that 1" BL in the pictures)

All said and done though, it wasn't cheap, but I think it was the right way to go.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
Unread 02-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
cj5huntingrig
1974 CJ5 

I know that others will disagree with me but the CJ5 with 35s on the highway is not a great (safe) proposition unless you can honestly keep it around 55 or 60 mph. The CJ5 has such a short wheelbase that there are a lot of factors to think about and NO...I disagree with the first response you received. Definitely ask as many questions as you want. Almost every question imaginable has been asked multiple times and answered multiple time with slight differences. If there were no repeat questions and ideas, nobody would post anything at all so always good to ask.

I run 33s on a '74 CJ5 with a 7"+ Rocky Road SOA lift. This would be overkill for your requirements but I can tell you that whatever you end up with, you will want a sway bar if you run on the highway. I can run 55 to 60mph but it can get squirrely at that speed mainly because I have no sway bar and my center of gravity is way up there. Running 35s may be an issue if you have a stock AMC20 rear end or, a crappy transmission. Unsprung weight (tires) add huge stresses to your driveline.

Consider filling out your profile so people can see what your setup is and share genuine experience based on what you currently have. If you are not sure, there is a plethora of information on here to help you identify.

Good Luck! Evan
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #10
Greenough12
1983 CJ5 

yet again thanks guys. I have updated my profile with the information i have i also have a build thread with some pictures. and information and advice would be very helpful. Right now the first step Im going to tackle is the Frame, lift, breaks, and rebuild the axles. I have in my mind to powder coat the frame and axles. Hey Cert.Jeep whats the info on your frame it sure is pretty.
Unread 02-28-2013, 07:34 AM   #11
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

The frame itself came out of the estate of the Wnuk family, who are the owners of AllthingsJeep.com

When Norman Wnuk passed away, they had a sale of a lot of Jeep parts that he had acquired over the years. This frame was going to be his next build. It is a Matkins frame. Very beefy, very stout.

I have most of the modifications done to it, but still a few more things to get to.
I started this build before we started having kids, so it has slowed a bit, but I am still picking away at it. I get parts here and there and want to do it a particular way after building so many other rigs that I did more cheaply, or didn't do what I wanted to do at the time because of outside issues.

So, it will be hopefully exactly what I want when it is done.
From what I understand Matkins isn't around anymore, but the next closes is http://www.throttledownkustoms.com/ to what I have... again, this is how I understand it, anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.