CJ5 Leaking from output seal Dana 20...2 seals later still chasing leak. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 Leaking from output seal Dana 20...2 seals later still chasing leak.

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
Jamesromeos
1979 CJ5 

CJ5 Leaking from output seal Dana 20...2 seals later still chasing leak.

I don't know what to do, I have put 2 rear output seals in the last 4 months in my CJ5. It is the output seal coming out of the rear of the transfer case going to rear drive shaft. I pressure washed the tranny and found that it was coming from this point. I replaced it for the second time the other day and it is spraying fluid all over the exhaust and tub, and spraying all over the fuel tank. It is the correct seal, I also put it in correctly. What could be causing this????? It is driving me insane, the smell of it burning, as well as it soaking the underside of the tub. Could it be a scored yolk? The Jeep has a 4" BDS lift, and a stock Drive shaft. It does have a transfer case drop, and shims for the rear axle. I am at a loss!!!

Jamesromeos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
hmantractors
1979 CJ7 

Oil seal

Your yoke, is there a groove in it? Can you hang a finger nail in it? Is there a burr on the yoke that may be cutting the new seal? Does the shaft on the transfer case have bearing wear causing the yoke to have to much runout which will cause the seal to leak? A lot of questions. You may just need to go to NAPA with your yoke and get a Speedi-Sleeve to repair your yoke another new seal and be on your merry way.
hmantractors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
lordhelemt

If there are no burrs on the yoke check to make sure your vent isn't clogged. If the tcase can't breath the pressure it's going to blow at the weakest point.
lordhelemt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
Jamesromeos
1979 CJ5 

How do you check the vent? Remove and put compressed air through?
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
WSS
1972 CJ5 

How did the first seal look like when you took it out?
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 04:34 AM   #6
Jamesromeos
1979 CJ5 

To me, the seal looked fine. No cuts in the rubber at all.
Unread 05-22-2013, 05:15 AM   #7
lordhelemt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesromeos View Post
How do you check the vent? Remove and put compressed air through?
I'd remove it and blow with compressed air. Also check the valve at the top.
Unread 05-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
Jamesromeos
1979 CJ5 

the vent was fine, I removed and inspected the yolk, which showed minor wear, no burrs. There was no side to side motion nor up and down on the bearing. I'm at a loss...should I just replace the yolk...could the dust shield be eating the rubber seal? Could I eliminate the dust shield?
Unread 05-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
lordhelemt

I'm stumped. Dumb questiom but ate you sure you're using the correct seal? Did you dry fit against the yoke before installing it?
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
AlexThePhotoGuy
1985 CJ7 

My t-case is leaking as well (but so dirty at the moment it looks like it's leaking from everywhere!). I'm a newbie... where is the t-case vent?
AlexThePhotoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
Jamesromeos
1979 CJ5 

Vent on top of the rear output of the tranny tcase where the driveshaft meets trans.
Unread 05-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #12
Jamesromeos
1979 CJ5 

I did dry fit, but the dust seal seemed to press into the old seal rubber with its taper.
Unread 05-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #13
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Time for some pics! A mystery.
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
lordhelemt

Yes send pics
Unread 05-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #15
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Its probably a worn in shaft groove on the yoke that is causing the leak problem. I had a similar problem after finishing the restoration of my Jeep and the yoke started leaking after driving it around. I'm a stickler when it comes to leaks and I seek them out no matter where they are coming from and make the necessary repairs to stop them no matter what the cost. I had to purchase a new yoke to stop it from leaking.

A small groove in the shaft that makes contact with the sealing surface will leak every time. My advice is to purchase a new yoke, use sealant on the splines before installing and coat the shaft surface with oil or Vaseline where it makes contact with the seal.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.