CJ5 Ignition Problem HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 Ignition Problem HELP!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
smcclellan6
1980 CJ5 

CJ5 Ignition Problem HELP!

Alrighty folks...here's the brief.

I bought a 1980 CJ5 that had bestowed upon it a 500cfm holley carb. Additionally, upon further inspection behind the dash, it had a plethora of useless wiring in the harness.

While waiting on my Weber 32/36 carb kit to arrive from Amazon.com I took it upon myself to clean the wiring behind the dash. I did however make a common mistake in not disconnecting the battery before i began disconnecting wiring. Not sure if this has anything to do with my issue...but we'll see.

The carb shows up at the doorstep about the same time as a I finish prepping the wiring harness to re-install. I drop in the freshly prepared harness and button up the dash then get to work on dropping on the Weber carb.

NOW HERE'S THE PROBLEM.

The Jeep won't start. It'll turn over...it'll even fire....it will even run with the key held to engage the starter....but as soon as I let go of the key ... she dies. All spark is gone when the key is released. I just replaced the ignition switch to no avail. I have the switch unbolted from the steering column and am activating it with a pair of pliers so that rules out the key cylinder and linkage.

I originally assumed it was the weber in need of some serious adjustment but the fact that she runs with the starter engaged and immediately dies when the key is released rules out the carb as the culprit.

I'm down to only a couple of ideas and wanted to run them by the experts...

The Ignition control module is shot.......or.........something else. Any Ideas???

smcclellan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
Ivehad4
1978 CJ7 

Might need to adjust the float in that carb. Sounds like your not getting fuel.
1998 TJ 4.0
Ivehad4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

I dunno. If you have fire on the start side of the switch, your ignition module should be OK. Using a test light, do you have a light at the coil with the ignition switch in the "ON" position? That maybe the problem. I seem to remember that a resistor wire steps down the coil voltage from 12V to 9 volt in the run position. I'm sure someone has the schematic for that start/run circuit and can post it. God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
smcclellan6
1980 CJ5 

Thanks for the advice Jon. I did change out the ignition module just for the sheer fact that the protective rubber crap on the back was completely deteriorated and the circuit board was shot. That didn't fix the problem though. I did manage to find a schematic on the 1980 CJ5. Looks like I may have a break somewhere in the resistor wire. perhaps at one of the splice points. I'll take the test light to the coil tomorrow as it's pretty late now and my shower fixture just broke in such a way that i can't shut off the shower without cutting off water to the whole house. I'll keep ya'll posted on how it goes.
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
smcclellan6
1980 CJ5 

And she's running! Apparently whilst reconnecting the connectors in behind the dash I neglected to connect a fairly important wire. I had originally chocked it up to being a wire to the non-existent tach but NOO!! It goes to the ignition system. Just so happens that the wire run responsible for the ignition loop is external of the ignition switch. I'm not 100% certain as to why but with a cold beer and warm multimeter I went to town on the wiring harness and was able to successfully locate the malfeasance.

On top of that I was also able to repair my shower fixture before the wife even woke up this morning. All in all....a fairly successful day. Next task is to get this weber tuned to a point to where I don't have to worry about becoming comatose from gas fumes while driving down the road.
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcclellan6 View Post
And she's running! Apparently whilst reconnecting the connectors in behind the dash I neglected to connect a fairly important wire. I had originally chocked it up to being a wire to the non-existent tach but NOO!! It goes to the ignition system. Just so happens that the wire run responsible for the ignition loop is external of the ignition switch. I'm not 100% certain as to why but with a cold beer and warm multimeter I went to town on the wiring harness and was able to successfully locate the malfeasance.

On top of that I was also able to repair my shower fixture before the wife even woke up this morning. All in all....a fairly successful day. Next task is to get this weber tuned to a point to where I don't have to worry about becoming comatose from gas fumes while driving down the road.
Very good sir... It's good to hear the solution to these problems, rather than the thread dying from a failure to fix. Good to have the shower fixed also. God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.