CJ5 gets awful squirrely going over 50 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 gets awful squirrely going over 50

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineVisit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
Rp8095

CJ5 gets awful squirrely going over 50

Hey guys,
I've been working on getting a fully rebuilt 1979 CJ5 back on the road. I put 33x12.5 Dunlop mud rovers 2.5 extended shackles and 1 inch body lift.

I didn't have the sway bar installed while test driving a little and it was scary. just installed it and i'm not overly impressed. if I go over 50 it still wants to start swerving all over the road. I didn't replace any of the rubber yet I assume that would help some but how much?. the steering damper is installed as well. any suggestions would be helpful thanks

Rp8095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

I've seen a lot of recommendations not to go over a 1" shackle lift because of those problems and I'm pretty sure that body lift isn't helping either...suspension lift would help or take off the body lift and go back to stock shackle...
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Also, have you checked the alignment? Camber and castor? When it's lifted, those things change and have to be adjusted...
Unread 08-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
Rp8095

I wasn't sure how bad the Shackle lift effects everything but I had my suspicions. Thanks for the advice. I'll have the alignment checked as well. for starters I'll change the rubber, that's cheap at least.
Unread 08-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

That body lift isn't gonna ease your ride either...if you want a lift go to a suspension and remove the body lift...
Unread 08-21-2013, 01:17 AM   #6
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 

The shackle lift probably tilted your axle too far forward (castor?) and now you are out of the 6 degree spec. You can use a cheap magnetic angle finder from home depot or lowes to check it. Place the guage on the lower flat portion of the lower ball joint. If you are out of spec, you can get some taper shims in the correct degree to bring it back into the zone. Learned this trick here on JF, just can't remember who to thank.

I did a somewhat sucsessful toe-in alignment on mine. I raised both front tires onto jack stands about an inch off the ground and used a sharp scribe clamped in a large pair of vise grips and held it tightly to the floor up against the tire and spun it to get a even line all the way around the tire, did this on both tires and measured the distance between those lines both front and back. Then twisted drag link until it had an 1/8" difference between front and back, with the front being toed in. Really helped with the over correction problem

CJs are not famous for hi speed use LOL
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 04:10 AM   #7
Rp8095

Was. Thanks for mentioning the 6 degrees I didn't think of that either. That will be easy enough to figure out. Ill let you know how it goes. It might be a few weeks though.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.