CJ5 garaged for 20 years - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 garaged for 20 years

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-06-2002, 11:26 PM   #1
maxa

CJ5 garaged for 20 years

I have a 1967 jeep which my mother has had in storage since 1984, when my father died. It is a CJ5. It seems to be a V6. Now she left this in her garage which is quite dry in Colorado. Unfortunately she did not drain the oil or put it on blocks. In short, it was just parked and left. It has a canvas top and roll bar. The inside looks exactly like it did 35 years ago. It has 29,900 miles on it.
Is there any hope for the engine, and if so, what should I do? I would have to hire a mechanic to do this. This is a leaded gas engine, manual transmission, with an added WW2 heater, roll bar, canvas top, and spare metal top.

If it is not worth the effort, what is it worth with a dead engine and four bad tires? The body is perfect, It is a little old lady's jeep, as my mother is 84. How should I sell it?

IP

maxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2002, 11:45 PM   #2
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Maybe I'm just a die hard Jeep fan or something, but WHY would you want to sell it!!!!!!!

drain the oil, maybe pull pan and clean it out real well.
also pull the plugs and put a little oil in the chambers and is if you can turn it over by hand a few times. Of course a new battery and check /add water antifreeze as needed. If the tires are that bad, don't drive it. Bring jack stands and pull the wheels off and get new tires put on. Completly check the brakes and steering as you don't want these to fail once on the road.

If you must sell it........how much do you want for it?

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2002, 01:23 AM   #3
Hippo393

Antique alert!!

maxa--you've got a classic! The V6 is the Buick Dauntless 225--the envy of all other engines at the time. I've got one in my '71 and my '68. GREAT horsepower (160+). In my opinion, your first order of business is to try to get the engine running. Follow "only in a jeep cj"'s advice, and drain & replace the oil and try to prime the oil galleries by hand (lemme know if you care/want to know more on that). Also drain and replace the coolant (replace with just water, though) and gas. Get rid of all old gas (gotta siphon it out). Check plugs. You may want to spend 10 bucks on AC-Delco 43S plugs--go to AutoZone or other and ask for those. I guarantee the ones that are already in there are AC Delco 44S. Please let me know if I'm right! (or wrong--it could by a Champion variety)

Secondary to all of this is if it actually drives. That's another beast to tackle for another day. Frankly, the value isn't that much greater if it does. Primary is the engine, and I'll bet you'll run into some complications trying to get it started. (ahh, to be expected, bro).

If you're interested, you can join me on another popular Jeep board that's specific to our Jeeps:
http://www.forumco.com/sparky/
The gurus there are experts on your Jeep model as they've helped me learn/troubleshoot/fix my '71 and '68 Dauntless 225s. Good luck and hope you're as excited as I am on your sitch!
-alan
Hippo393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2002, 09:12 AM   #4
cjryder

I agree with 'only in a cj' and hippo393; you are one lucky son of a gun. Whatever you do don't let this beauty end up with someone like 85chevycaprice.
cjryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2002, 04:12 PM   #5
Steelhead

Maxa don't let this jeep get away from you it's a diamond in the ruff. You kick your self in the butt later when it's to late if you do. Even if it take you along time ti get the jeep going KEEP IT because after all it was your fathers and he'd probably want you to have it .I used to have a 67 with a V-6 in it and it was an absolutly great Jeep. I garantee that if you fix it up and drive it you'll be hooked on it.
Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2002, 09:00 PM   #6
hollywood

Who cares what it takes or costs! My Fathter has passed on as well, and I'd give anything to have his old 2A or his Jeepster. Do Not give up this opportunity - get it running, drive it often, and enjoy it.
hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2002, 10:30 AM   #7
errorinspelling

What are ya'll talking about?!?!?! That thing isn't worth the trouble!!! It'd only be a thorn in his side. His best bet for an old rotting pile of scrap like that is to have someone take it off his hands. He'd probably want to put a REAL cheap price tag on it too. Tell ya what, for the trouble I won't even charge ya to take it off your hands. It's OK if your on the East coast too. I was gonna be in that neighborhood. It's a quick jaunt from Portland, OR.

--Eric

Seriously though, Don't sell it. You'll regret it..
1986 Fiero GT v6 engine
http://www.60degreev6.com/members/efixj

Last edited by errorinspelling; 08-08-2002 at 10:34 AM..
errorinspelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2002, 12:15 PM   #8
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ooooo.. Maxa, Looks like you have lots of buyers for that Jeep if you really want to let it loose .. but I have just have to put in my 0.02 ..

Keep it, and even if it stays in a garage for another 20 years (keep it nice and clean will ya), there is nothing to stop you from enjoying it then.

Where are you from anyway?
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2002, 11:56 PM   #9
maxa

A bit of luck with the 1967 CJ

Well. I had four flats on this Jeep. So I bought a manual air pump and with only about an hour of pumping, got all four tires to inflate! I think that is miraculous, considering they have been standing there since 1982 at least. So it will roll to the tow truck.

Also found the car keys and locking gas cap key. Yep the gas is gone! Also found the original gas cap.

As much as I would like to keep it, I have no space to work on it. The garage has 40 years of junk in it. I have a slate bed pool table that has been sitting unused next to it, also for 35 years. Talk about heavy, and it does NOT have wheels.
Unread 08-09-2002, 02:36 AM   #10
Hippo393

Rampart! Rampart!

maxa,
so what do you plan on doing with the Jeep?

Please remember, you're dealing with an antique of high value. You never know when the Antique Road Show will visit your town! Either in parts or as a whole, don't you want to get what it's worth?

Yes I know you have no room/time/desire to work on it. But can you at least snap a few fotos for us to see? You may have a potential buyer lurking in the wings. Take a few pics under the hood, too. Landing this babe in the right hands just may be your 8-ball in the corner pocket!
Unread 08-09-2002, 11:47 AM   #11
errorinspelling

Potential Buyer? I wanna know where he lives. Well general location. If he's selling it and I can get there I'd be interested. Oh and if I can get the wife to loosen the purse strings a bit.
1986 Fiero GT v6 engine
http://www.60degreev6.com/members/efixj
errorinspelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2002, 12:57 AM   #12
maxa

Say goodbye to the 1967 CJ

I plan to sell this fine Jeep. I would love to keep this old soldier. However, I have a much bigger problem, as I want to clear my mother's house. The Jeep is but a small part of the mess. Hence, no time, tools, space etc. Interest I have, however one must be realistic.

I imagine I will regret it later. Sometimes you just gotta get rid of things. I have an antique bed in hundreds of pieces in the garage, a trailer that was bought in 1952. (I cannot even see this thing, but I know it is there) etc.

As to the location, I am in Boulder Co, 30 miles northwest of Denver, at the interface between the Great Planes and the Rockies. Moving to the east, is an easy drive. Over the Rocky Mtns. is a much bigger problem.

Yes I will take some pix. I will have to give the Jeep a light washing to get the 20 years of dust off of it. It looks much better with the tires inflated.
Unread 08-10-2002, 03:26 AM   #13
Guy Hollister

The engine will be fine... the rest will need a bit of attn... but not alot.... 29k is awesome.... the only thing that you will want to change is power steering.... as that will be a manual... i used to have almost the same jeep.... from the same era and locn... rust FREE... and nice thumping V6... i know you want to be rid of it... and i know why... but if i were you i would delay this decision and relocate the storage... get a mechanic... get it fixed... then decide if you want it or not ... if you don't .... it's worth about $7,000 - $10,000 fully gleaming. Think about that and think how your mom could use that money in her 85th year... good luck pal... you won't want to spend the money to clean it up but the reward will be you happy ma.

Finally ... what colour is it... ? I see light yellow .... like my old one ?

ANOTHER happy Jeepin' story.

g
Unread 08-10-2002, 10:10 AM   #14
Born2Jeep

Keep the Jeep. Use it as a coffee table if you have to, just don't sell it. At any price. Give it to your children or their children. It appears as though you don't know what you have. Do some research on your own and then do what you think your dad would have done. There is a reason that he kept it for so long. Find out.
Born2Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2002, 09:19 PM   #15
Hippo393

Hey Born2Jeep, welcome aboard! Great first post.

maxa--(since the vultures are starting to circle overhead) how about if I send you $15 + shipping for the V6 emblems? They are the ones on the sides. Click my email addy if you're interested.
-alan

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.