Cj5 front bumper ideas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cj5 front bumper ideas

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 07-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
FATHERNSON
1977 CJ5 

Cj5 front bumper ideas

We are coming to the point in our build that we need to decide on the front bumper very soon. I would love to see and hear your ideas on what would look good and you guys have had good experience with.

Thanks

[CENTER][FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]USMC
SEMPER FI[/SIZE] [/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
FATHERNSON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
Hurricane4

I like the stock bumper. I am in the process of removing the
PO piece of **** front bumper and installing a stock bumper.
Unread 07-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
CSP

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...ou-buy-919431/
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
82KansasCJ

1982 CJ7 

I would contact Bersk here on the forum. Several of us using his stuff. Great quality & good pricing.
Unread 07-23-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
FATHERNSON
1977 CJ5 

I sent him am IM, I hope to hear from him.

Thanks

[CENTER][FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]USMC
SEMPER FI[/SIZE] [/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
FATHERNSON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I am going to get a stock looking chrome bumper(but with holes cus I already have one), and chop it into a shorty to look good with my tube fenders.
Then get a Bersk winch plate.
Unread 07-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #7
berserk71
1977 CJ5 

I'm still in the thinking stage as well. I'm not really impressed with what’s out there for CJ's and what is out there is heavy and expensive. So I’ve been thinking about making one myself but my welding skills aren’t that great, especially with aluminum which I think would be ideal. This is what I've decided so far. In order to reduce weight, I think, I will go with 1/8”-3/16" thick aluminum 2x4 rectangular tubing. If I were to attach something to the Jeep it would be to the frame not the bumper so a thick steel bumper, to me, is unnecessary weight. The end caps are not structurally important so I’ve decided to use aluminum brazing rods to cap the ends so I can avoid having to pay someone to heliarc them. The bumper will be attached with steel brackets and bolted to both bumper and inner frame, again to avoid heliarc costs. I will then have someone weld a 1/4" thick steel strap that will wrap around the bumper and attach to the top and bottom of the frame with bolts. On the strap I will have D-rings welded. I believe this idea would give strength only where needed and reduce weight significantly. It’s just an idea for now. I haven’t implemented it yet. Any feedback on something I may have overlooked would be appreciated.
berserk71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
sanddrag
1984 CJ7 

I did mine out of 2x4x3/16 steel box, 52" long, and cut a 45 on the ends and capped them. I made 1x2 solid D-ring mounts that go all the way through the bumper and bolt into the frame rails. I did it with my el-cheapo stick welder and it turned out alright.
sanddrag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #9
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

I's be leery of the aluminum/steel idea, depending on how long you want it to last. Any time you have aluminum in contact with steel, you will get corrosion between the two dislike metals. If left alone, it will build up a thick layer of corrosion that can bend the metals as it gets thicker.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #10
81c-j5

I had tow hooks welded on and just put d-rings through them....stole the idea from a buddy....I love it!!!
forumrunner_20110723_231946.jpg   forumrunner_20110723_232037.jpg  
81c-j5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2011, 11:04 PM   #11
berserk71
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
I's be leery of the aluminum/steel idea, depending on how long you want it to last. Any time you have aluminum in contact with steel, you will get corrosion between the two dislike metals. If left alone, it will build up a thick layer of corrosion that can bend the metals as it gets thicker.
Good point. I didn't think of that. If I seperate it with a ceramic paint or powder coat it should solve that issue.
berserk71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #12
alljagged24
1985 CJ7 

I cut the ends off flush at the froma and notched them so the would fit on the sides. Of the frame and welded it all solid.
Between the front bumper and the crossmember is not box in so it made it a lot stronger

I went to my local semi truck salvage yard and got 2 front tow hooks off a centure class freightliner. Drilled 2 holes in each side of the frame used grade 8 bolts and welded the hooks and spacer plates to the frame. Its looks very professional and only costs about 40 bucks and took 2 hours!!!!!!
They are also very tough, I got snatched out of a hole by a huge truck after sinking it up to the frame several times at a mud bogg
alljagged24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

I bought some Blue Torch Fab shorties and had them chromed.

Unread 07-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #14
Patter
1981 CJ5 

Maybe not what you want. Just throwin it out there.

A kind of a "Besrk "inspired piece. He will hook you up

Unread 07-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #15
heatmiza
1972 CJ5 

I made one out of a big truck leaf spring. cheap,rugged, and kinda cool. this pic is a before pic of my jeep, i have sandblasted this and put a plate mount in the middle, the coated it with herculiner (the best paint on body liner period). this bumper weighs about 30 lbs, it's rugged!!!! will try to post some after pics. i think you would like it

heatmiza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.