CJ5 front axle seal leaking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 front axle seal leaking

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 12-28-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
clerihew82
1977 CJ5 

CJ5 front axle seal leaking

I have a 77 cj5 and my front axle seal is leaking. Ive taken the axle shaft out and i see a seal in there about a foot inside. How do you get in there to change it out?? Do you have to take the axle housing cover off?

clerihew82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Yep.. the seal gets replaced from inside the differential center section. You have to remove the axles, remove the ring gear carrier, get the old seal out and press a new one in from the inside out. Might as well do both sides while you're in there.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
clerihew82
1977 CJ5 

what is involved in removing the gear carrier? Ive seen some pics that show you get both axle shafts out and remove the diff cover. And take off two holders?? on each side of the gears. I guess. Mabye somebody can clear that up a little easier. I have a chiltons manual but it doesnt say much about that at all. thanks
clerihew82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

If it's never been apart before, it can be kind of tough to get the carrier out. You should use a "case spreader" to open the differential housing up a tiny bit.. releasing the clamping force on the carrier bearings. However, lots of folks take a couple long screw drivers (or prybars) and pry on the ring gear bolts at the top/bottom of the case... sort of levering the carrier out of the housing. If you do that, it helps to have an extra set of hands. Even a Dana 30 carrier is pretty heavy while laying on your side prying with screwdrivers. Be careful not to drop it on the ground.. or on your fingers. Also, keep track of everything you take out.. those bearing caps must go back on in the original position.
If you're not sure of your mechanical abilities, you may want to solicit the help of someone who's done this before to avoid making costly mistakes.. maybe locate a local Jeep club and ask around for some help?

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.