I've got some old cars in the field one is a 74 F150 that a kid traded me for an old ATV I had.
Well I covered the carb with a bag and tossed the air filter back on left it. That was maybe 10 years ago.
Well with my supply of carb'd engined cars dwindling, I went up to it and pulled the 2150 off it.
The accelerator pump shaft had some rust and would not move. So I tapped it free with a hammer.
Cleaned it on the wire wheel on the grinder.
Put it back on and everything seemed okay, a little rusty on the underside of the butterflies.
Mostly from condensation I'm sure over the years.
I ordered a 2 barrel adapter Saturday from O'Reillys but it wasn't there so it showed up today.
On the fun and games.
Here is the culprit, a Carter BBD, I got it idle sorta but acceleration was problematic at best
without a load on it. I made two trips around the field in it and it sputtered, popped and
was truely the poorly designed POS I knew it to be from my younger years.
So off it comes....
I pulled it off and thought WTF is that! looked like paper over the ports.
Hmm, its a screen, tell me again how well designed the Carter is that it needs a screen to atomize the fuel..... :ROFL
Now with all that crap out of the way its time to get productive, remove the studs, mine came out easy enough with a
pair of vicegrips.
The Mr. Gasket adapter. One note here, I'm a little unhappy with the casting/engineering of the adapter.
It will work, but so does sex with a fat ugly girl but you don't talk about it right.
The inside holes are slotted and really designed to wide for the cap screws. Upon tightening them
down they wanted to pull into the adapter instead of clamping it down. No washers for those screws
either. But it works so it is what it is.
Heres my little helper today. My youngest son.
Then here is a proper carb on a 258.
I adjusted the mixture screws to 1.5 turns out from snug. I turned it over for a couple seconds to get some
gas into the carb, then pumped twice.
Hit the key again and it started, wouldn't idle but was running.
Two more mixture adjustments, 1/2 turn on each, for a total of 2.5 turns out and it settled into a nice idle.
Crack the throttle and instant acceleration of the engine, no bogging sound, just smooth.
Not to bad for a carb that has sat for 10+ years, no kit, just a little WD40 to make sure everything
was working smooth.
Its not perfect yet, its running rich, so I'll order a few jets to get it leaned out. But I see it
living a happy life on the CJ. I have to move the accelerator cable to make it reach the carb
at a working angle but life is surely better.
I'm old enough to have lived through the Carter days just goes to show that somethings never changed. :lol