The CJ5 followed me home.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > The CJ5 followed me home....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #1
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

My 73 CJ5 tribulatons and repairs.

Start off, I've posted on JF a few times typically over my Cherokee.
Well I found a 52 Willys and mentioned it to dad and guess what he
bought it.
Well after two months of work on it, he has it pretty sharp and wants to
go exploring in the Ozark National Forest. I do that with a big street legal
dirt bike. Since the idea of traveling at Jeep Speed on the XT (5 to 15mph vs 25 to 60mph) I decided I needed a new toy.
I looked at one that was to say the least a POS. Both sides needed replaced,
the engine appeared to be locked up, couldn't turn it by hand. So I passed.
Well browsing Craigslist I found one that was close to what I wanted,
the 258 engine, and a CJ5.
So I asked dad if felt like taking a ride and we went to check it out.

A beauty queen it was not for sure. But it wasn't to rusty, and the engine
did run, even it the carb acted like it was shot, Carter BBD, the engine came from an 85 model or so he claimed. Looked like they found it in a field someplace. No paint on the engine, just plain ugly. But hey it didn't smoke. It was also less than 1/2 the price of the next one on craigslist. These things are like buying something by the pound here.
$3500 to $6500 seems very common. Plus the seller had a set of new Rough Country 2.5" lift springs, and new fuel tank, and sending unit with it. So I chewed over the asking price and counted out $100 bills and offered a C note less than he wanted and he took it. I could see he really hated to see his Jeep leave. But his GF was pregnant and he needed the cash.

So I drug it home and adjusted the timing, and it seemed to run better and even idle after I adjusted the accelerator pump and gas height. Still running it off a gas can the tank has lots of trash in it.

So a couple more pictures from the Man Cave.

I need to build or find a roll bar for it, and a few other little things.
Its going to get a Motorcraft 2150 on it next week too.
I pulled the old gas tank and dropped 10 lbs of dirt and mud out of around it I think.
So I'm fixing the lights back there before the new tank goes in.

The shackles on the rear are some home brewed ones. It stinkbugs, higher in the back by 5 inches than the front. So whats the best shackles to get to with the 2.5" light springs to balance it out to around 4" total lift?

Last edited by Caish; 06-15-2012 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: change topic to something more suitable.
Caish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #2
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

What year is it?

As for the shackle length for the 4" of lift - for that much lift, get the springs for the lift, not shackles..

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 12:58 AM   #3
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
What year is it?

As for the shackle length for the 4" of lift - for that much lift, get the springs for the lift, not shackles..
Oops thought I mentioned the year. Its a 72 model.
I've been doing some reading and I learned that Shackles are not good for road manners on the CJ.
So Stock it will return to. Just install the Rough Country 2.5" springs and replace the rear with a set of 3" shackles.

The front may actually have the stock shackles on it, its the rear thats jacked up.
Unread 06-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

All the lights are working now.
I have to tidy up the wiring and tape it all up etc then I'll be ready to install the new gas tank.

On a different note, is there a place to get the body support frame work under the tub?
The tub isn't to terrible but there is lots of places the supporting frame structure is terrible.
Unread 06-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caish View Post
Oops thought I mentioned the year. Its a 72 model.
I've been doing some reading and I learned that Shackles are not good for road manners on the CJ.
So Stock it will return to. Just install the Rough Country 2.5" springs and replace the rear with a set of 3" shackles.

The front may actually have the stock shackles on it, its the rear thats jacked up.
Why do you want 3" shackles in the rear? I'm thinking stock shackles all the way around and it will sit level. Were you wanting it higher in the back end?

Nice find, BTW. Anytime you can get one for a grand less than asking price should put a big smile on your face!

What's the other car in the man cave???

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Why do you want 3" shackles in the rear? I'm thinking stock shackles all the way around and it will sit level. Were you wanting it higher in the back end?

Nice find, BTW. Anytime you can get one for a grand less than asking price should put a big smile on your face!

What's the other car in the man cave???
The seller called me yesterday he had new shackles and u-bolts he forgot to give me.
I just want it level, its going to get 31x10.50's on it off my Bronco.
The Bronco has a 460 and I refuse to drive it with gas prices what they
are.

The other car there is a 74 Triumph Spitfire, its a 2.6L V6 Ford and 4 speed. It needs a shifter setup designed for it.
Unread 06-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

If it were me... (ominous way to start off a post!)... I would return to stock shackle length all the way around. They will easily fit 31 in tires and insure the best steering arrangement. You are probably aware that tall shackles can give you handling issues.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Dunno your shifter fab issues, but here's a guy's way to do one for a Sunbeam Alpine. May help give you an idea..

http://www.turborangerforums.com/sho...ghlight=alpine

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
Dunno your shifter fab issues, but here's a guy's way to do one for a Sunbeam Alpine. May help give you an idea..

http://www.turborangerforums.com/sho...ghlight=alpine
Thanks,
The shifter linkage issue is more of its dad project, we share the shop, I helped build it 20+ years ago, I can work it out, just going to such a tight area with the linkage on the left side of the tranny.
We're working with jeeps right now, I'll get it lined out this winter or something when I get caught up on jeep issues.
Unread 06-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I've got some old cars in the field one is a 74 F150 that a kid traded me for an old ATV I had.
Well I covered the carb with a bag and tossed the air filter back on left it. That was maybe 10 years ago.
Well with my supply of carb'd engined cars dwindling, I went up to it and pulled the 2150 off it.
The accelerator pump shaft had some rust and would not move. So I tapped it free with a hammer.
Cleaned it on the wire wheel on the grinder.
Put it back on and everything seemed okay, a little rusty on the underside of the butterflies.
Mostly from condensation I'm sure over the years.
I ordered a 2 barrel adapter Saturday from O'Reillys but it wasn't there so it showed up today.

On the fun and games.
Here is the culprit, a Carter BBD, I got it idle sorta but acceleration was problematic at best
without a load on it. I made two trips around the field in it and it sputtered, popped and
was truely the poorly designed POS I knew it to be from my younger years.
So off it comes....

I pulled it off and thought WTF is that! looked like paper over the ports.

Hmm, its a screen, tell me again how well designed the Carter is that it needs a screen to atomize the fuel..... :ROFL

Now with all that crap out of the way its time to get productive, remove the studs, mine came out easy enough with a
pair of vicegrips.

The Mr. Gasket adapter. One note here, I'm a little unhappy with the casting/engineering of the adapter.
It will work, but so does sex with a fat ugly girl but you don't talk about it right.
The inside holes are slotted and really designed to wide for the cap screws. Upon tightening them
down they wanted to pull into the adapter instead of clamping it down. No washers for those screws
either. But it works so it is what it is.

Heres my little helper today. My youngest son.
Then here is a proper carb on a 258.

I adjusted the mixture screws to 1.5 turns out from snug. I turned it over for a couple seconds to get some
gas into the carb, then pumped twice.
Hit the key again and it started, wouldn't idle but was running.
Two more mixture adjustments, 1/2 turn on each, for a total of 2.5 turns out and it settled into a nice idle.
Crack the throttle and instant acceleration of the engine, no bogging sound, just smooth.
Not to bad for a carb that has sat for 10+ years, no kit, just a little WD40 to make sure everything
was working smooth.
Its not perfect yet, its running rich, so I'll order a few jets to get it leaned out. But I see it
living a happy life on the CJ. I have to move the accelerator cable to make it reach the carb
at a working angle but life is surely better.
I'm old enough to have lived through the Carter days just goes to show that somethings never changed. :lol
Unread 06-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
yippie21

1979 CJ7 

Wow... nice work and write-up. Good luck... it looks great so far
yippie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
BlkCJ7Laredo
1985 CJ7 

Looks like you're off to a good start. That tub looks like it's holding together pretty well for an original '72 tub. Isn't that the first year that they were stretched to accept the AMC I-6 engines?

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #13
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCJ7Laredo View Post
Looks like you're off to a good start. That tub looks like it's holding together pretty well for an original '72 tub. Isn't that the first year that they were stretched to accept the AMC I-6 engines?
its not terrible, but it has some cancer under it more on the tub support framework than the actual tub. Its never going to be prestine just making reliable.....

I can see in future it might get a 4.0 if the 258 gives me much trouble.
I work nights and thinking about it tonight and what I need to do to get road worthy asap.
Unread 06-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Things progress.
I drove the CJ-5 today for the first time.
It was interesting to say the least, it runs but runs like CHIT, I need to pull the plugs
and run a compression check and see if thats the issue more than anything else.
On a positive note the xfer case and tranny seem good too. Actually put it into
4 low and done a little hill climbing here, I have two hills on the road that are not
long but nearly vertical, now spin just go.
The down side is I have I lost the brakes on the test drive.
It blew a wheel cylinder on the front and then promptly locked the rear
wheels and slid to a stop. LOL.
So I eased it back home.....
Next week the wheels come off and rebuild all four wheels for the
sake of argument.

On a side note I want to convert it to power steering.
Pump, Bracket (this might be the tough part) lines and new sector.
Unread 06-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #15
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

More fun fun fun.
I ordered some brake parts, actually everything short of drums, and backing plate.
I was mildly surprised it has outboard drums on the front. (remove the drum without the hub)
The Dana 44 axles had a lot of play in the bearing, in and out, and even some up and down.
So add to the list, bearings for the D44.
New wheel cylinders, New Shoes, New Springs, New adjuster assembly, and new bearings in the
D44 and I pulled the front hubs for good measure and greased them too.

Just Empty Every Pocket is getting close....
But I chalk alot of this has PM work, you know fixing stuff the Previous Owners neglected,
I also know that when I'm done it will be DONE and I shouldn't have to touch the or bearings,
for a good couple years maybe longer depending on miles driven.

I had the same kind of hurdles on the XJ when I put it together and its been two years now,
only thing I've had to do is replace the Harmonic Balancer. We generally call it around my
place making the car payment, because we DO NOT make car payments here. Pay cash
and drive it.

Oh well back to the shop I nearly got the front done just slap the lockout on the right side,
and move to the rear.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.