CJ5, a few questions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5, a few questions.

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-28-2005, 07:17 PM   #1
Brandon11130

CJ5, a few questions.

could you guys give me fone information on cj5's what years are the best and such what changes were made etc. anyone have any good sites?

how high can i lift a cj5 before it beings to become unsafe at highway speeds?
i want to be able to do 65 and be able to turn with out tipping over,
i was thinking maby a 4inch total lift (soa) 2" packs.

how difficult is it to do a spring over axle on a cj5. if i do it will i have to convert the steering to somthing else??

what t-cases were good? trannys? did all cj5's come with the dauntless v6?

[SIZE="1"] We do not ask for your poor or your hungry. We do not want your tired and sick. It is your corrupt we claim. It is your evil that will be saught by us. With every breath we shall hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood ‘til it rains down from the skies.[/SIZE]
Brandon11130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2005, 08:06 PM   #2
waywardfool
1973 CJ5 

Off the shelf, I think the '72-75's were best.

D44 rear, D30 front axle. D20 xfer case.

72-75 is longer than 71 and earlier, about 4" longer in the engine compartment (pre 72 fender came down to a point where it joined the tub, 72 and later, it levels off for 4" before getting to the tub seam). This was to accomodate the AMC sixes. Makes much better for future engine swaps. 4" more wheelbase also slightly better for handling on road.

in NC, 35 years no inspection at all is required. 72 is very close to that. couple of more years, you'll save $10 per year.

No emissions either in many areas. No restrictions on motor swaps (cept in some areas, if you put in say a 2003 motor, you must meet 2003 emissions requirements.

The AMC sixes are torquey motors for the size. 258 of course much better than 232. Really wakes up with HEI ignition and Weber 32/36. You can do junkyard HEI real cheap if you look for the parts, or spend the $$ for a bolt-in online. Seven main bearnings in the sixes (one between each rod on the crankshaft) they will last forever as long as you maintain and keep oil in them.

Think of T18 swap. not terribly hard to figure out. Gain Low 1st if wide ratio trans. Autos ain't great in a 5 due to already short driveshaft lenghts.

4" lift is about the max I feel good with at freeway speeds. Last '5 I bought was a 74, had a springover on Rancho 2.5" springs, was WAY too unstable. Reversed the SOA, handling (and looks) improved 200%. I'd go maximum 4" springs, or 2.5 spings with a 1" polyurethane body lift. Looks better too...they look goofy if you go too tall.

With 2.5 or better springs, 33x12.50's are a great fit, looks balanced. If you go 35's, especially if lockered, you have go go easy on the skinny, or plan on either a D44 front or Warn heavy duty axleshafts on the D30. I've run 33x12.50's for 20 years now with no ill effects. if you go SBC or 360/etc, you can bust up a D30 easy with 35s and a front locker.

FWIW, YMMV, IANAL, ETC
waywardfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2005, 08:21 PM   #3
Brandon11130

im not really into bodylifts so i would probably just do some 2.5-3 packs,
soa makes it too unstable? oh well one less thing to worry about.
oh yea and another thing did all cj5's come with heat?

[SIZE="1"] We do not ask for your poor or your hungry. We do not want your tired and sick. It is your corrupt we claim. It is your evil that will be saught by us. With every breath we shall hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood ‘til it rains down from the skies.[/SIZE]
Unread 09-28-2005, 08:53 PM   #4
earlycj5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon11130
what t-cases were good? trannys? did all cj5's come with the dauntless v6?
D18, 20, 30 were all good.

Not all came with the Dauntless just the good ones.
Unread 09-28-2005, 08:55 PM   #5
earlycj5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon11130
im not really into bodylifts so i would probably just do some 2.5-3 packs,
soa makes it too unstable? oh well one less thing to worry about.
oh yea and another thing did all cj5's come with heat?
No, my '62 didn't even have the stock "placebo" heater in it. Just a plate blocking off the firewall.
Unread 09-28-2005, 09:29 PM   #6
Weasel

My 75 has heat, except im in Canada so its kinda a must when it hits -30C and you only have a soft top haha. The 304 is the way to go, tons of tourqe in the mud(enough to leave patches on dry pavement with brand new 31s) and with the 2barrel the fuel economy is actually really good.
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2005, 05:45 AM   #7
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm a '72-'75 guy too. 2 1/2" Rancho SUA, 33's, 2" spacers in the back (Dana 44 front soon) and some fender trimming. It is stable and non-scary. The other consideration is the rear drive shaft. With a T18 I am still running a normal drive shaft (about as steep as I'd be comfortable with). I can't imagine this would be possible with a 4" lift and a T15 which means CV driveshaft ($500). For the street the T15, T150 are both good. Most will have 3.73 gearing. If your trailing I would consider a T18 upgrade.
Unread 09-29-2005, 07:09 AM   #8
waywardfool
1973 CJ5 

what kind of wheeling are you planning?

the inline sixes are good for torque -- they are not spinners... if you do a lot of.thick mud, a SBC or v8 AMC would prolly be better, as you need the RPM's to spin up to clear the tires.

lots of room in the engine box to work on the sixes, too, and not crowded like with an 8, so real easy to locate accessories, add-ons under the hood.

i have the 258, and do a lot of mixed wheeling. I try and avoid getting in the big mud pits just for the hell of it, as that's just not my thing, and cleanup is not my favorite.
Unread 09-29-2005, 09:55 AM   #9
CJ5_Fan
1980 CJ5 

I have had both a '72 and my '80. One thing to keep in mind when considering the CJ5... the 72-75 series shares alot of parts with the 76 and later jeeps, but some parts are a real bear to locate. In addition, many accessories made for CJ5's are targeted at the 76 and later bodys and differ greatly because of subtle changes such as the windshield design, wiper motor locations, tub design,... etc....

Not saying don't get one, just saying be aware you may have a few junkyard trips in store for you if you need parts.

Click HERE to check out my CJ5 restoration project page
CJ5_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2005, 10:07 AM   #10
Rockram1

Have you bought a CJ5? And asking questions about it? Or are you looking to buy a CJ? If your looking to buy there are a couple other option. For the best CJ ever built I'd have to go with a late model 86 CJ7. They come with 258, t176, dana 300, dana 44 rear, and a 30 front. Plus they are wide trac axles.

In your initial statement your said you wanted 4"lift and 33's. This is the extreme max for a CJ5 on stock axles. If you change to wide trac axles you can go a little higher. As for SOA on a CJ5 NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS. The Jeep is too short and narrow.

If you step up to a CJ7 the SOA is more of an option however don't think for 1 second that a SOA is cheaper than a SUA lift. And for highway driving I'd stay away from a SOA. Too many hassles with steering and proper caster.
Unread 09-29-2005, 12:11 PM   #11
waywardfool
1973 CJ5 

more to think about re: years...don't know when they went computer or ignition controller and all...but one less non-repairable part to fail at the worst possible time, especially if you like to get wet.

the 72-75's (the years I am most familiar with) get super-simple if you upgrade/convert to 1 wire HEI and a 1 wire GM alternator -- get rid of the voltage regulator, etc. Worse case, fire/meltdown under dash...easy trail repair to wire direct and get home. BTDT.
Unread 09-29-2005, 01:28 PM   #12
Brandon11130

yea im think about either a cj5 or cj7 it would be a dd as well as weekend wheeler, so no sye
im leaning towards a 72-75 cj5 because i like the older look and there a little different.

Unread 09-29-2005, 01:42 PM   #13
earlycj5

72-75 come with most of the "good" stuff that most of us Early CJ-5 owners want from an Intermediate/Late CJ-5.

11" self adjusting drums and Sagninaw mainly and still retain a good bit of the classic look.

Unless you just really like the odd fire V6, which I do, I'd go for an Intermediate if it strikes your fancy. An intermediate CJ-6 w/ a 304 would be the cat's meow IMO.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.