CJ5 Factory Steering Linkage is too short? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 Factory Steering Linkage is too short?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
Jeaux

CJ5 Factory Steering Linkage is too short?

Help! I bought this CJ5 with a bad steering box. i have replaced the box only to find the linkage was bad as well. I ordered a Factory Steering Linkage and it looks like it is too short? By 2". On the lower coupler I would have to pull this out about 2" in order to be able to insert the bolt in the proper place. Is this normal? I feel that is not. I do not see a body lift kit or any other reason why the steering wheel would be further away from the factory located steering box.
Thanks Jeaux.

Jeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
Jeaux

Can anybody help?
Im wanting to do this now?
Unread 01-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
scooter
1982 CJ7 

You talkin about the drag link from the box to the knuckle?
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
Jeaux

Drank Link?
The shaft under the hood that connects the steering column to the steering box.
I have to pull on the lower coupler of that linkage to stretch it enough to put the bolt in connecting the linkage to the steering box.
Unread 01-10-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
scooter
1982 CJ7 

That would be the steering shaft. Id take some measurements off my 82 7 but im sure its different,other than than im no help....sorry.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 04:39 AM   #6
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Do you have a body lift? if so, that is your problem (might help us by filling out your Jeep information) . If so, you may have to "extend" the shaft by driving the lower section out of the slip joint.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 07:48 AM   #7
Jeaux

I'm not sure. I don't see any spacers under the body. No large shocks, just the shackles you can see in this picture.
And when you say extend the shaft by driving the lower section out of the slip joint.
You don't mean completely out do you? 2" at best will be the most I can pull on the lower coupler "Slip Joint" but I am afraid that this will make it weak and will break on the first trail.
Unread 01-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #8
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

2" seems like a lot. Did you place the steering shafts side by side and check the measurements?

One time I accidently pushed my steering column up and it slipped off the bearings. Until I went inside and looked at the steering wheel I thought I had the wrong length shaft also.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #9
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Steering shafts have slip joints in the middle. Make sure the shaft has not been compressed.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 10:33 AM   #10
Jeaux

The shaft I ordered is the same as the one i took off in fact that is how I broke the old one one.
Any way I was just told to punch out the two plastic pins in the linkage. This will give me the extra length I need.
Thanks for all the reply's.
jeaux
Unread 01-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #11
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeaux View Post
The shaft I ordered is the same as the one i took off in fact that is how I broke the old one one.
Any way I was just told to punch out the two plastic pins in the linkage. This will give me the extra length I need.
Thanks for all the reply's.
jeaux
Not in the linkage, in the middle of the shaft, where the compression joint is are the two plastic pins.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.