CJ5 Drivetrain Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 Drivetrain Question

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
JMonument

CJ5 Drivetrain Question

I have a '70 Postal DJ5 and wanted to take and install/swap the 4x4 drivetrain from my parted out 71' CJ5 into it .

Question is... Will I need to use the frame from the CJ5 to make sure bolt patterns match, etc?
Guy wants to buy the frame from me Monday.

Unread 05-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
JoeMama

J.
Which frame do you want to keep?
If the swap means placing the DJ5 body onto the CJ5 frame, That should be rather easy to lay-out.
Just do some measuring of the frame widths, wheel centers, and where ever the body sits on the frame, you can always drill new holes to secure the DJ to the CJ.
If that is what you're wanting to accomplish.
Good Luck! Joe
JoeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
JMonument

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMama
J.
Which frame do you want to keep?
If the swap means placing the DJ5 body onto the CJ5 frame, That should be rather easy to lay-out.
Just do some measuring of the frame widths, wheel centers, and where ever the body sits on the frame, you can always drill new holes to secure the DJ to the CJ.
If that is what you're wanting to accomplish.
Good Luck! Joe
I'd like to sell the CJ5 frame, but if I need it to use the CJ5 drivetrain, then I'll keep it. Just wondering if the DJ5 frame will support the swap.

I'll measure the widths and wheel centers... I was hoping to sell the frame so I can fund a couple of tools I need.

However, if I kept the CJ5 frame, I'd know for sure the drivetrain would fit and I could get it all sandblasted/cleaned and painted without having to mess with the tub. Be pretty convenient...

Thanks
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

I think the postal jeeps had a boxed frame as opposed to an open frame on the cj. Did The Dj have steering on the right side? I'd just take some measurements and see how they matched up.
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.