CJ5 as a daily driver? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 as a daily driver?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-16-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
78CJFIVE
1978 CJ5 

CJ5 as a daily driver?

How many people are daily driving their CJ5's?

How many miles per day? Summer only?

I have a '78 that I plan to drive to work everyday once I return back to the States and have some time to work on it.

How hard is it to add A/C to a CJ5? =) As much as I don't want it, when I occasionally drove it last year in the Texas summer, it was a little uncomfortable even with no top/doors.

I've debated whether I should look for a beater just for work and keep the CJ in the garage. I've seen some Honda Civics and some old pickup trucks on Craigslist for under $2000. Except that is $2000 that I could spend on the CJ and will seriously slow down progress with it..

78CJFIVE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2009, 10:02 PM   #2
CJuncky
1981 CJ5 

If it were me I would get a cheap beater to DD while you bulld up the CJ to the point you want it. That way you can take your time doing mods and don't have to take short cuts so you can drive it to work on Monday.

just my $.02
80 CJ7 258/auto/d 44 diffs/ 4" lift/rebuild started 80 CJ7 #2 stock(sold)
82 CJ7 stock DD
CJuncky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2009, 11:03 PM   #3
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

I drive mine for a few weeks then drive something else for a few. I drive thru towns to work, but any highway I'll take something else to save gas. It's also nice to go over 55mph sometimes..

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2009, 11:31 PM   #4
misplacetexan
1983 CJ5 

I drive my 83 CJ5 (no A/C yet) to work every day, about 76 miles round trip.
Unread 10-17-2009, 12:30 AM   #5
Waderacin
1979 CJ5 

Mines a DD and round trip is about 45 miles. Jeep CJ Air Conditioning A/C AC No Reserve:eBay Motors (item 260491300942 end time Oct-21-09 10:22:45 PDT)
piece it together shouldnt be that hard.
Waderacin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 06:21 AM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I would get a beater also. I'ts easier to love your CJ when you don't have to depend upon it running every day.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 06:51 AM   #7
emeraldcite
1974 CJ5 

i have to rebuild the carb, but i drive mine to work daily. even drop off my daughter at the bus. she loves it.

i do about 30-40 miles round trip a day. No top, no doors. then again, it's florida and the weather here is mostly nice.
emeraldcite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 08:44 AM   #8
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

Drove one 10 miles /day for years.
also drove it on 875 mile trips (one way) several times per year. No real issues...
Once you have fixed the problems induced by age/wear and previous owners it will be as reliable/dependable as any other vehicle.

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
Jeeper75
1975 CJ5 

I drive mine as a DD, when I was in highschool I put 50 miles on it a week but since I will start college in the winter im looking for a beater so I can work on it.
Jeeper75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #10
smaclean
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I feel your pain about the heat during the summer. A bikini top is cheap and keeps the sun off at the red lights. Makes the jeep comfortable in the summer and literally takes 3 minutes to remove. It's also cheaper than ac.
smaclean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #11
ThisGuyUKnow
1985 CJ7 

When you are looking for an opinion of whether to DD a rig you are going to get about half and half on the yes and no's.

Bottom line you know your rig. I DD my 88 GW and will drive it cross country in a heartbeat. But I know the truck inside and out, I have alot of blood actually invested in the truck (effin' rusty suspension bolts!), and I am constantly making sure the driveline is in good shape. So I know what my truck can do and what I can expect from it. So you are the best judge as to whether your rig will make a good DD as everyone here can only speak on the reliability of their own rigs.

I personally would DD a cj in a heartbeat. I just bought my Fiancee a CJ7 that I am hoping to replace here 92 altima with. If you decide to DD that 2k you would spend on a newer car you could use to invest in things like a 4.0 head conversion(Im assuming you have a 258), electric radiator, HEI, MPI/or GM TBI, and pull an ac out of a junkyarded CJ. All of which are projects that can be accomplished individual with minor down time on your truck and would be very useful for a DD truck IMO

Just my .02 I have nothing better to do in my free time here than plan out my next project and that long post are just my own conclusion dont flame me
ThisGuyUKnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 05:01 PM   #12
Pumpman
1986 CJ7 

I agree with "ThisGuyUKnow". We got our CJ7 about 2 1/2 years ago and it wasn't very reliable because of all the worn parts. But with some steady persistance and a lot of work, I'm comfortable sending my wife to Florida (about 500 miles one way) by herself. Of course, since it IS a nearly 25 year old vehicle, I'm crawling around under it from time to time checking for new leaks, loose bolts, and other potential problems trying to catch them before they become a problem. As long as you're not afraid of working on it, it will be just as reliable as any other well maintained 25 year old plus car.

- Once you've changed every single wear part, it really runs pretty doggone good!
Pumpman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 05:29 PM   #13
ThisGuyUKnow
1985 CJ7 

There will be hiccups! I got ****y one day and decided on a night highway trip to use my GWs foglights instead of my brights and I completely fried my headlight wiring. The fog lamps had a bad ground and the heat at up my main feed off of the solenoid. Luckily it was a two minute fix with some crimps, connector, electrical tape.

I'd keep a tool box loaded with goodies and strapped in your cargo area if I were you. Check your url and other fluids regularly. Stick your head under the car every other week or so if for nothing other than to say yup those are car bits. Be vigilent in looking out for rust and you should be good. There is no reason why a 78 anything cant be as reliable as a 92 civic. My dad DDs a 77 Celica.
ThisGuyUKnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2009, 09:27 PM   #14
jey
1974 CJ5 

I DD my '74 which is all original 46 miles round trip monday thru friday, in Colorado. Then spend all day Saturday working on it so I can do it again the next week. Still love it, still reliable.
jey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2009, 10:29 PM   #15
corysean99
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I cant wait to get mine cj5 back home and get it running. I use to love driving it when my brother owned it. Softtop heater on full bore, coat, ah good times.
corysean99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.