CJ5 Clutch wont engage/Clutch Linkage problem T18 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 Clutch wont engage/Clutch Linkage problem T18

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-05-2015, 09:10 PM   #1
donovan53
2010 JK Wrangler 

CJ5 Clutch wont engage/Clutch Linkage problem T18

Alright guys so i posted on here the day i bought my CJ5 about the clutch "fork" not staying in the clutch "spoon" it would fall out every once in a while especially if i was to accidentally put my foot underneath the clutch pedal. so i installed a spring to hold the clutch fork to the spoon and that fixed the problem so i thought everything was good because ive been driving it on paved roads for the past few months but im still trying to work out all the flaws before i take it to the trails. but a few days ago when driving in a few uneven hilly parts of my yard i noticed the clutch didnt want to engage when on unlevel ground. i also noticed the clutch pedal was hanging a few inches lower than the brake and gas pedal. so i added another sping to hold the spoon closer to the for an pulling it closer to the front of the jeep well that made the problem worse now with or without any springs the clutch will not engage at all i am beyond stumped on how to fix this problem i dont know if i should buy entire new linkage would help or what becuase now i cant get the clutch to engage at all and i think i might have moved something out of place while trying to add springs. I have pretty much no experince working on vehicles so i have no idea where to start. i dont know if the problem is beucse the T18 in the jeep isnt the origanal transmission or what should the previous owner have added diffrent linkage when swaping the trasnmission? maybe that could be it? anyway i have no clue where to start. Thanks guys -Donovan

LINK TO PICTURES http://www.flickr.com/photos/1293472...7651365275809/

donovan53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2015, 09:39 PM   #2
Requiem4aCJ
1984 CJ7 

In the pictures you are missing the spring that keeps tension on the throughout lever. With out the spring you may have lost the ball bearing that the throughout lever pivots on.

or I could be thinking of a different setup.

Also, your bell crank lever seems to have been lengthened with a piece of rusty iron for some reason.

Last edited by Requiem4aCJ; 04-05-2015 at 09:50 PM..
Requiem4aCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2015, 02:51 AM   #3
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

These guys have the low-down on T-18s. I notched my fork the same way they did on my Ford T-18. Can you get to any spot to check what the Trans came from?
http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-...cj7-clutch.htm
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/jeep/..._into_a_CJ.htm
Perhaps the linkage problem is coming from an internal Problem?
Likely? NO! Just something I book marked when I did my swap.
Once a year, my CJ looks cool. St Patrick's day! Seriously, paint is my next project. And awhile ago you guys came through when I was waffling on the color & you guys threw up some Loden Green metalic. I forget who had a sweet Green Golden Eagle. Thanx guys!

Last edited by hutch1200; 04-06-2015 at 02:53 AM.. Reason: add pR0n link
hutch1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.