CJ5 and CJ7 comparison - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 and CJ7 comparison

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
thartleystj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

CJ5 and CJ7 comparison

Hello all! I am new to CJ world and I am trying to decide between a later model CJ5 and a CJ7. So with this post I'm asking all you CJ owners what are the pros and cons of each and which do you prefer? I like the shortness and overall look of the body on the CJ5 but I like that there are more aftermarket parts available for the CJ7...so again I ask what's the pros and cons of each and which do you prefer? Thanks in advance

Sincerely,
CJ Noob

Unread 04-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
clydegoat
2005 TJ Wrangler 

mostly be what you like, pretty well the same mech. in both jeeps, just the 5 is little shorter, like me I like the looks of the 7 better, I like the bigger door opening in the 7. seems like you can get the 5's a little cheaper, think the 7's are more popular(supply and demand I guess). engines, trannys, rear ends all the same for the comparable year. 7's with the longer wheel base give you a little more room to work with if you want to add things(or have one with) and auto. tranny. hoods, grills, windshield frames will swap. just differant body.
clydegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

If you are going to use it as a DD you may find the longer wheelbase will make it less twitchy and the slight increase in space is welcome. The CJ7 also can be found with a hardtop and steel doors which makes it more practical as a DD. There is slightly more legroom for the passengers.

The CJ5 is a shorter wheelbase so has an advantage off road and if all you intend to do is wheel it in the mud and across rocks the CJ5 may be a slightly better alternative.

No matter what you go for get one in as good condition as you can afford.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
Altimeter
1997 XJ Cherokee 

If you are taller than about 5'10", you may want to opt for a 7. I have a 5, I'm 5'9" tall, and I feel like I need to be back a few inches. It also took me a while to not hit the door hump every time I got out of it. Also, if you need to haul around more than 2 people routinely, you'll need a 7. Having said that, I love my 5.
Altimeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

FWIW, the CJ-5 isn't very fat guy friendly.

Being as I'm a "full-size" guy, and I really prefer the looks of the CJ-5, I'm just not physically comfortable in them.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
thartleystj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It's mainly going to be an offload vehicle. Mainly because I have a wife and 3 kids so we won't fit in one no matter what. I'm wanting to find one as close to stock as I can get because I was to do everything my self. I used to have a to and I bought it with some things done to it and I regretted it because the po cut corners on some of the necessary upgrades like the lift kit and did chep bed liner on it but thought it was fine to spend $3700 on 20" Rosckstars and 35" Mud Grapplerswhich I immediately sold. So this time I kinda wanna do it all my self or at least most of it so corners don't get cut
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
Rattyflatty
1948 CJ2A 

Hold out for a Cj6 or a Scrambler and build in third row seating.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.