CJ5 Build advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 Build advice

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-02-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
skywalker2117
1972 CJ5 

CJ5 Build advice

I recently bought a 1972 CJ5 with a Chevy 350 and TH350. It currently has no Tcase, but i plan to install a NP205. It has a 12 bolt rear and 10 bolt front. SOA on YJ springs.

I am trying to decide were I want to go with it, so I need some opinions, and I have some questions.

I will start with a question. Where is the stock gas tank located? The jeep currently has one behind the rear axle. I was thinking a stretch would be a good way to go, but im guessing the gas tank would have to move. Would i have to install a fuel cell? If so, were is a good place to get one?

Second, Does anyone have a link to a good write up and a cj5 stretch? What would be a good wheel base to aim for?

Third, has anyone done a TH350 swap and tried to install electrical gauges? The PO installed some Cyberdyne gauges and never finished installing everything. He gave me a speed sensor that came with the kit, but I am not sure where to put it.

Is the black cable the stock speedo cable?

I think that is all the questions I have for now. I am sure there will be more as I get farther into the jeep.

Thanks.

Brad

Unread 02-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
1967rs
1974 CJ5 

Speedo cable will go to the transfer case, what you are looking at the kick down cable. Makes the trans down shift when passing ect. Are the axles 6 or 8 lug? If they are 8 lug H2 or 03 or newer dodge wheels will set the tires in more so you can cover them with big frares.
1967rs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
my-jeep-earl
1971 CJ5 

The gas tank IS located behind the rear axel and the stretch should'nt change the location much if any. The black cable isn't the speedo cable but is the "throttle kick down" cable, the speedo cable will connect to the transfer case. What type of gauages do you want to hook up to the tranny?
my-jeep-earl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
69cj5

Nope thats the kick down cable that shifts doan the tranny when you romp on it. The speedo hookup is on the tail shaft part of the tranny and since the tailshaft housing is removed to hookup the transfer case you wont have a speedo hookup until you get a transfer case. With the chevy v8 and the th350 better measure the length of the transfer case you are wanting to use and the check the length of your rear drive shaft. you may run out of room if you pick the wrong transfer case and your pinion angle is going to be horrible. Currently stretching out my 69 cj5 as even with an atlas and moving the engine forward a couple of inches the length of the driveshaft and the pinion angle (rear end is a high pinion currie rockjock 60) was just not working. Good luck with the project and keep us posted.
BEsrk I just drain the fluids, attach a strap to the top of the cage and pull the vehicle over in the backyard.. strap only costs $15. Or.. I just drive up a tree with one wheel until the rig flops on its side.. too easy and that one's free.
69cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #5
skywalker2117
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by my-jeep-earl View Post
The gas tank IS located behind the rear axel and the stretch should'nt change the location much if any. The black cable isn't the speedo cable but is the "throttle kick down" cable, the speedo cable will connect to the transfer case. What type of gauages do you want to hook up to the tranny?
I guess I don't have any gauges to connect tot he tranny. Just the the transfer case now.
Unread 02-02-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
1967rs
1974 CJ5 

To the best of what I know the 205 is the shortest chevy t-case and if you get one from a crew cab it will not have a slip yoke. The 208 and 203 are 5-6" longer. You could go with a sm465 4 speed, I think they are a few inches shorter the the th350.
Unread 02-03-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
skywalker2117
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967rs View Post
To the best of what I know the 205 is the shortest chevy t-case and if you get one from a crew cab it will not have a slip yoke. The 208 and 203 are 5-6" longer. You could go with a sm465 4 speed, I think they are a few inches shorter the the th350.
Are there slip yoke kits available for the NP205?
Unread 02-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #8
No_Bs
1977 CJ5 

I can guess one reason it doesn't have a t-case.... The PO probably couldn't figure out how to get a driveshaft in there with the auto and a lift. You will need to stretch it to get any t-case in there. When I get to doing mine, I'm shooting for somewhere in the 93"-100" range. The stock gas tank will have to move, most likely into the rear cargo area. Places like summit sell any type of cell you'll need. Just to clarify, you do not want a slip yoke, it will make your driveshaft 4-6" shorter than a fixed yoke which is an issue.
Unread 02-03-2009, 04:24 PM   #9
1967rs
1974 CJ5 

I think you would be better off with a 205 that does not have a slip yoke, If you get one that has a slip yoke you can convert it. You will need to run a cv drive shaft and I dont think you can run a cv with a slip yoke, I know I dould not want to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.