CJ5 Axle swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 Axle swap

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer PurchaseFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
RecklessCJ
1972 CJ5 

CJ5 Axle swap

I'm in a debate with myself about what I want to do with the axle swap. I've read plenty of threads and was leaning toward the scout D44s but decided not to because of the 0 caster. Then I thought about doing a D44 or D60 with a Ford 9 inch. And that's What I thought I was set on, but now came across front and rear 1 ton axles for about $500. The measurement he gave me was 62 inches from the outside of each rotor.

Would the the 1 tons be too wide for my little old 72? And would it be just about pointless if I'm running only 33s?

What are your opinions on the absolute best axle pair and setup for my SOA 72 on 33s (35s at the largest one day). Moderate wheeling but would like to drive it on the road some. I have YJ springs but will do those with the axle swap.

RecklessCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
SleeperCJ
1983 CJ7 

One ton axles are for 400+ HP engines turning 38s or bigger. They are way overkill and their added width defeat the biggest advantage of the cj5 which is its compact size. If 35s are the biggest you want to run, Dana 44s are fine. I got a pair of 44s and I am SOA with 35s and 350 hp V8. A 9" rear is ok, a d60 is also pretty big. If you are SOA and don't mind doing some axle housing mods, look for a GM or dodge passenger side drop. They are already made for SOA, just need to be narrowed.
SleeperCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
RecklessCJ
1972 CJ5 

I guess I can just pass up those 1 tons, I figured they would be a little over kill but they were pretty darn cheap. As for the Dana 44s which ones would you recommend for going wider ( wide enough to keep stability) and not overkill?
Unread 04-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

The common narrow(er) ones for the front are '73-'79 Waggy or Scout. The Waggy axle is the wider of the two at ~62". If you have stock axles now, they are NT which is going to put you in the 51" range. You can bring that back in a bit with high offset rims and it looks pretty good.

Common rear 44s are '80+ waggy centered axles, Rodeo/Passport '93-'97 or Scout. You can also look at Ford Explorer 8.8, no idea of the years.

Other option is to find a D30/D44 WT axles from an '86 CJ7. Hard to find but they do show up once in a while.

At least this seems to be the common internet consensus.
Unread 04-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

Sorry, I guess we should ask if you are running a D18 or a D20 transfer case. The 18 will be offset to the passenger side and the 20 will be centered, which will make a difference as to which rear axle you get.
Unread 04-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
brian613
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewtoy View Post
Sorry, I guess we should ask if you are running a D18 or a D20 transfer case. The 18 will be offset to the passenger side and the 20 will be centered, which will make a difference as to which rear axle you get.
i put scout 44's front and rear in my 77cj5 with dana 20 transfer. the difference of the "offset" on the scout axle Vs the dana 20's centered isn't enough to worry about

project roadkill
brian613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
RecklessCJ
1972 CJ5 

I'm running a T150/D20 combo with a NT Dana 44 in the rear. I never can find waggy axles around here in the late 70s its all 80s with the driver side drop.

Is it possible to do the scout front with a 8.8 rear? Same size or would it look stupid?
Unread 04-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #8
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian613 View Post
i put scout 44's front and rear in my 77cj5 with dana 20 transfer. the difference of the "offset" on the scout axle Vs the dana 20's centered isn't enough to worry about
Not worried about the offset of a D20 and centered Scout axle. I would worry about trying to use a D18 transfer case on a centered axle because of the D18s offset.

Sure, you could run a 8.8 in the rear. I don't know about the width compared to a Scout front. Just remember you want the rear the same or a touch narrower than the front.

Also if you run the Scout front, you will need to cut and turn the C's to get some castor. Otherwise it will be all over the road.

You can also look up posts by CSP, FoggyBottomBob, or Beserk. They are very experienced at axles swaps and have tons of posts about it here.
Unread 04-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #9
RecklessCJ
1972 CJ5 

Okay I'll check them out and see. Is there any axle that I wouldn't have to cut the c's? Maybe a certain chevy axle already set up for spring over?
Unread 04-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

Sure, both the Waggy and Chevy axles are already setup for castor. Waggy's are SUA so you will have to put spring pads on top and outboard your springs. Chevy is SOA but they are like 69.5" wide. One of the popular things to do is to cut 4" off the long side of the Chevy and use a Waggy long side axle shaft in it so you don't have to have custom axles made. That will also bring your front down to ~65.5 which will match the rear and you don't have to outboard your springs because the pads line up with the frame then.

So just to give you some perspective. You have CJ NT axles.

Dana 30 CJ NT 53" / WT 56" / Waggy 44 FT ('74-'79) 61.5"
AMC 20 CJ NT 51.5" / WT 54.5" / Waggy 44 RR ('80s) 59"

In my mind there are 4 sets of sizes of axles that go under Jeeps and they go up in width. OEM NT, OEM WT, then FSJ NT and then "Full Width". OEM WT and FSJ NT, in my mind look the best on a trail/road runner. once you step up to full width you are looking at a really wide stance. IE your rear axle is going from 51.5" to 65" or more. Do a search for full width axles on here and get an idea of how wide that is on a little CJ5. I think that fits your definition of "overkill"

TheRyans33 has a '79 Waggy front 44 for sale in VA. Not sure how close that is to you, but PM him and see if you can work something out.

Also I am working on my first axle swap myself, so the information I am giving you is a culmination of my research here on JeepForum and Pirate. While I believe it is accurate because I trust the folks who wrote it, CSP, FoggyBottomBob, Beserk, JeepHammer, TheRyans33 etc. You should verify and do more research than just what I am telling you.
Unread 04-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
nacheswheelin
1960 CJ5 

I did a waggy d44 swap under my cj5 and narrowed the front axle down. My tires are 35 12.50 and from are currently the same width as a stock tj i also have a full turning radius back. If you go to narrow and try to run 35s you will not be able to turn at all. The downfall is that my tires stick out about 6 inches on each side and I will have to make flares becuase it does throw a lot of mud. If you plan to run 33's keep your stock axles, save the money so when you decide to swap you can also re-gear the axles. Most d44's are around 3.07 and if you try to run that high of a gear ratio it can strain your output shaft and possibly break it. Cutting the hangers will be the easiest and cheapest part of the install. I put detroits in when i did my re-gear because I had to set up the ring and pinion anyway. The cost of my whole project was around 3000 dollars. 500 for axles, 1700 for gears and lockers, 400 for tools, 300 for install kits and parts. Plus one heck of a headache doing the gears, but all the guys on here walked me through the process and were extremely helpful.
nacheswheelin is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.