cj5 acme hardtop - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj5 acme hardtop

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 08-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
cjme
1977 CJ5 

cj5 acme hardtop

just started up on this forum.Lots of great info. Looking to put acme hardtop i just bought on my 77 cj5. not sure what it came off of but in great shape couldn't turn it down. I mean GREAT shape.Having trouble at windshield frame.Lip edge across top of frame is problem. This could be off older cj. Can an older cj windshield frame fit on 77? Frame n hood r steel,body is glass.I know angle is different,what about overall height? Top sets good on body rails,doors look pretty good if i could get front edge all way down to windshield frame with good fit then would fully set on rails.Hoping doors fit better!!! Any ideas or info. Fabbing not problem just lookin for easy answer or windshield frame specs.

cjme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
RadioRadio
1980 CJ5 

It is quite possible that you have a pre-76 windshield frame. Where is the wiper motor located?

Is it an angle issue or a case of the windshield lip being too big?

Remember, these things never go perfectly...I know fitting my hardtop required a bit of persuasion (read: hammer and profanity).

Pics would be a huge help here.
Unread 08-13-2013, 05:42 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

is the lip on the top sealed or open?

I've seen them both ways. Mine is open and slips down over the windshield frame.
Others are sealed and sits on the top of the windshield frame.

I had to do a little grinding on my top because of the fiberglass window frame.

Pictures, pictures, pictures.

use photobucket or something like that.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

i really don't remember acme making tops for the later (amc) cj's. amc changed the body of the cj's that included windshield angle, length of the front hood/fenders, and door opening dimensions. if you could find an older cj windshield, you might be able to get it to fit, but measure your cj mounting dimensions carefully. good luck to you.
Unread 08-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Acme made tops for CJ7's so I would think CJ5's as well

Dave in Muskegon
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

My Cj is a 76 CJ 5 and I have an Acme top on that.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
dharri770
1978 CJ5 

I have an Acme top for my 78 CJ5. My top has a closed end that fits over the windshield frame. It's snug, but doesn't need too much persuasion.
dharri770 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
cjme
1977 CJ5 

The front lip of the top curves over the top of the windshield frame down almost to windshield seal,not a problem.Then has a step flat surface that sits on seam on top of windshield frame .This holds the front of the top 2 inches to high.It also is tight fit on raised surface on face of w/sh frame in upper corners. I wonder if the front of the top has warped down from sitting on skid for some time.Like the front droops down.Looking from the front ,the front edge at top of w/sh frame has big arch in it.Could i slowly clamp pressure on it to reshape?
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
cjme
1977 CJ5 

tried to post photos from phone but no luck workin on it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.