CJ5 3 point seatbelt install, removed old lap belt / low back bucket seats - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 3 point seatbelt install, removed old lap belt / low back bucket seats

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 07-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
new cal shooter
1978 CJ5 

CJ5 3 point seatbelt install, removed old lap belt / low back bucket seats

I ordered fixed / non-retractable 3 point, modern style seat bets from seatbeltsplus.com I added the hard ware kit that came with bolts and washers, my existing mounting holes fit the new hardware kit perfect! Same thread size as stock 78 cj5 and the seat belt kit is universal. Real nice to have a shoulder and lap belt on a high back seat, I'll post pics of the seatbelts installed soon, I just drilled thru the roll bar about head rest level and used a grade 8 to secure it, only extra bolt i had to buy.

Last edited by new cal shooter; 07-23-2009 at 11:56 PM..
new cal shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
alljackedup
1979 CJ7 

Thanks for posting! I've been wanting to do the same to my 79 CJ7 for awhile. Did the instruction give you guidelines as to how high the shoulder anchor should be mounted? I've always wondered if there were any federal regulations that had to be met?

Thanks,

-Keith
alljackedup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
sgtbookie
2005 LJ Wrangler 

New Cal, did you weld in tubes where you drilled. From what I read on here you may want to do that to reinforce the area you drilled.

- 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara #380 -
sgtbookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
monninen
1974 CJ5 

Thanks for posting the website. Just what I was looking for!
monninen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2009, 11:54 PM   #5
new cal shooter
1978 CJ5 

Did not weld in a plate or threads, seems plenty solid, bar was pretty think to drill into, Just positioned the chest belt where it felt comfortable, great belts by the way, neat how they open like an airplane seat belt

new cal shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #6
dunnyCA
1979 CJ5 

Can you post pics of the retractable part? Im not sure where how to mount mine, theres no room behind the seat in my 79 CJ5, was thinking against the vertical part, like the step from the front floor to the back
dunnyCA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2009, 01:36 AM   #7
4by4junkie
1981 CJ7 

Nice job have to do the same to my 81.
4by4junkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
jwatson911
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnyCA View Post
Can you post pics of the retractable part? Im not sure where how to mount mine, theres no room behind the seat in my 79 CJ5, was thinking against the vertical part, like the step from the front floor to the back
I was wondering if you figured this out. I was thinking of doing the same thing. Thanks!
jwatson911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2010, 05:29 PM   #9
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

What kind of seats are those? JK
They look really good, they might give corbeau or mastercraft a run for their money if I can make a harness work with them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.