CJ5 1958, being redone - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 1958, being redone

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
linkmaster
1958 CJ5 

CJ5 1958, being redone

People might remember me originally coming by this forum, here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ca...53/?highlight=

And as I said, I was going to keep everyone updated on my progress, which I have had some! Here are some photo's of what I have done, on imgur: http://imgur.com/a/V8Ekx#4

So, the first picture is simply hauling the darned thing to my house, though I learned some nice things during that: one, the brakes worked(albeit barely) and two, the steering column worked rather well. That was good starting news.

The second and third images are just me dismantling the radiator and belts and fans and stuff to the front, in my attempts to unlock the engine block. That attempt failed, which leads to fourth image, pulling the engine out of the vehicle. THAT was a nightmare, my dad and I decided it would be easier to take it off from the bellhousing...some of the bolts were difficult to get. In the process though, I learned a couple other new things! The clutch works just fine, though with all that grease I'd be surprised if it didn't..I had the starter rebuilt since it was kaput, though I don't have an image of it yet.

The last image is the clutchplate and flywheel, and I'm confused about it. I took off the clutch plate, as can be seen on the ground, and the flywheel's 6 nuts, but...it's not coming off. Anything I'm missing, or something in particular I have to do to remove it? I'm wanting to mount the engine on a stand so I can finally unlock the blasted thing.

So, update done, wanted everyone to see I've been at it during free time, though it'll be some time before the next update, unless my dad decides to work on it some as well.

Any advice during this would be great, to those that have tinkered with their own late 50's model Jeeps.

Thanks all!

linkmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
wsmutch
1986 CJ7 

My first jeep was a 1958 CJ5!

My first car and first jeep was a 1958 CJ5. I paid $300 for it in 1977. I gave it to my dad when I joined the merchant marine, and he sold it a few years later for $500. Its the reason I recently bought my CJ-7. I always missed that jeep.
wsmutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
linkmaster
1958 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmutch View Post
My first car and first jeep was a 1958 CJ5. I paid $300 for it in 1977. I gave it to my dad when I joined the merchant marine, and he sold it a few years later for $500. Its the reason I recently bought my CJ-7. I always missed that jeep.
Really?? I paid $300 for this bad boy here as well, haha. But my dad doesn't want to sell it yet, he's still trying to get it running.
Unread 05-03-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
linkmaster
1958 CJ5 

Another update! I got the flywheel off eventually, and have it mounted on an engine stand. Being at school has made it so that I can't really work on it as much as I used to be able to, so progress has slowed.

Turns out the entire block was frozen up, which is surprising considering how good of quality the inside of the engine is. There was still lubricated oil once my dad and I busted it open, and the head came off without too much worry. None of the rods were bent, and everything(to some degree or another) was still movable -- except the pistons. Those were, and still are, locked on like baby to its mama.

I've included a few more pictures to show the progress as well, and maybe my confusion as well. Two of the pistons are still stuck, we managed to get the 2 of them out. I don't actually have a picture of that though. Any advice or comments are welcome though!

http://imgur.com/a/27YL4#0

See y'all round

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.