CJ3a brake drum removal - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ3a brake drum removal

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #16
Whit

1950 CJ3A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinsonj View Post
Thanks for everyones help, i really appreciate it. turns out i was getting worrie about nothing. Everything came apart really easily with no special tools in about an hour once i figured it all out. For anyone that plans on removing the brakes in the future, here are the steps i took to get the job done (sorry i dont know the terminology for everything):

1)Remove the hub cap (about (6) 1/2" bolts
2)Remove the locking hub assembly
-is about 2" thick and can easily be pried off with a skrew driver or just pulled off if you are luck
3) Remove the outer axel nut
-If you have the special nut tool, great, if not, you might be lucky enough to find that someone has already put grooves in the nut, enableing you to use a flathead skrewdriver and some light taps of a hammer to remove.
4) Remove the washer and inner axel nut in the same fashion as the outer nut
5)The whole hub should now easily slide off the axel, at least mine did

When i did mine, i removed the brake drum before removing the hub, but come to think of it, it probably would have been a lot easier to remove the drum and the hub all at once. As long as you back the shoes off all the way, everything should slide right off. If it doesnt, tap it with a hammer a couple of times. Once the hub and drum are removed, everything else just unbolts and the new brakes should bolt right up.

Another minor problem i had was that the brakes were ever so slightly too big for my stock wheels. At least on my wheels, there is a little lip on the inside that wsa barely catching the brake, not allowing it to go on all the way. I beat on it with a big ole hammer for about 2 min to flatten it out and now everything fits perfect Hope this helps anyone that is thinking of doing the same swap
Just followed your simple instructions on my CJ3A... Worked just as you say. Thanks for the simplified description.

2010 WK, 3.7l, Rubicon wheels in Anthracite, K&N intake, Hypertech, 2.25" RRO lift, Bilstein 5100, Stillen brakes, 265/70-17 Hankook DynaPro ATM, Cupholder Ring LED's, Expanded Sheet Grill mod
UPCOMING MODS: Fastman TB, cargo LED's
Whit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #17
bkeese
1949 CJ3A 

The biggest problem I had was 3 wheels were right hand thread and 1 was left. After I figured that out it was down hill.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.