CJ2A on the way - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ2A on the way

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRCV Axles at CCOR

Unread 03-18-2015, 07:01 AM   #1
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

CJ2A on the way

I have been haggling over a supposed 1947 CJ2A for a few weeks now. I say supposed as that is what it said in the log book when it was created in 1982 but they are sometimes a bit vague about exact years.

It is in central Java and has been subject to a 1 year frame off rebuild by a chap that is the brother of another chap I know who delivers the odd vehcle for me. Almost family!!!! He has a CJ6 ex Indonesian Army and a few other Jeeps of a similair vintage and is a Jeep nut.

Unfortunately most of the pics are on my camera at the other house so these pics are very poor.

It has the original engine and transmission and carb and filter and axles.

The body has been sanded bare and then hammerred smooth and painted. No rust, no dents, no filler. If I saw it in a museum I would be unsurprised. The frame is sweet.

The axles are mostly original, save the front axle has been converted to disc brakes.

The electrical system is now 12V with an alternator

The seats are all new and it looked very nice inside. Not that there is much trim in an early CJ but it is all there including the right fuel tank.

It was good to drive, wandered around a bit like early Jeeps do and had a slight misfire but went through all gears and no smoke and no overheating.

Nearly new tyres.

Bad things

Not much. The windshield is from a 3A, the gauges are non original and all types and makes, the steering wheel has some cracks and the body is painted green with military markings and the spare and jerrycan are setup as per an MB. There is no canvas but it does have the bows.

I paid US$4800 for it, not bad for a 95% restored early CJ.

My plan is to do a detailed original build with period correct parts (easy, it is 95% done) and then hit the easier trails with a stock early CJ. My wife sees herself tootling to the school and office in it.

img_20150207_223553.jpg

img_20150207_223557.jpg

img_20150207_223559.jpg

img_20150207_223602.jpg

img_20150207_223604.jpg

img_20150207_223607.jpg

img_20150207_223609.jpg

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1947 Willys CJ2A/3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2015, 07:57 AM   #2
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

I'm happy for you to get it! I know that you're the kind of guy to "do it right" and that your new project will come out well. Keep us posted. I'm anxious to see the progress!

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2015, 08:00 AM   #3
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Nice find, good luck with her.

77' CJ-7 83' Chevy K10
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2015, 09:42 AM   #4
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

Looks great. I'll have to stop by and see it when I'm in the neighborhood!
CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2015, 05:29 PM   #5
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

What a deal! Looks great. Can't wait to see more pics of it.
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2015, 07:11 PM   #6
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

It looks like a fine Jeep. I hope it is delivered safely and ends up being a fail deal! Looking forward to seeing more photos after it arrives! Does your wife know how to drive a standard transmission?
Unread 03-18-2015, 08:10 PM   #7
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

My wife knows how to drive a manual stick, she had a Willys of a similiar vintage some years ago, a 3B, but her step mother sold it whilst she was overseas!!!

With that and the Alfa Romeos she has had she is well versed in the stick. Still drives into things (her last Cherokee had 14 accidents in one year, only 12 were her fault) but is getting better.

Yep, looking forward to it. My niece's friend is taking delivery for me and will tool around Java giving it a shakedown before I head there for a wedding at the end of April.

I am debating whether to take it on a 16 hour drive home to Bali or put it on the back of a truck and fly ahead. It is 960kg so not a big deal on a small truck and I have a small Peugeot that I want to take at the same time that needs engine work (no-one in Java wants to change exhaust valves on a French car) so perhaps both can go on a truck......

1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
Unread 03-19-2015, 07:16 AM   #8
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

I don't think that's a CJ-2A.
Looks like an M38 to me...that's the Korean War era military Jeep.
I'm basing this on the grille and the dash which are unique to the M38, and the handle on the side of the body by the filler neck.
Does it have the large diameter military fuel filler?
Regardless, it looks like a very nice Jeep, and it sounds like you got a very good deal on it!
Unread 03-19-2015, 07:35 AM   #9
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

I am so envious!
I have a CJ-2A that I've been trying to get around to for YEARS,
It's a rusted plug that someone dropped a Ford small block into,
And put Scout axles under,
And they didn't do either very well.
I'm going to spend a week just cutting bad welding off the frame...

I love the old flat fenders, and a restored is the coolest of all!
Great find, and going to someone that LOVES Jeeps it's got a great home!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2015, 07:39 AM   #10
scooby533
1986 CJ7 

Bagus , I had a 505 turbo once upon a time. Poor oil pressure to the turbine so it burnt up a few. Nice car, but no one in the states supported it.
scooby533 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2015, 06:35 PM   #11
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
I am so envious!
I have a CJ-2A that I've been trying to get around to for YEARS,
It's a rusted plug that someone dropped a Ford small block into,
And put Scout axles under,
And they didn't do either very well.
I'm going to spend a week just cutting bad welding off the frame...

I love the old flat fenders, and a restored is the coolest of all!
Great find, and going to someone that LOVES Jeeps it's got a great home!
Thanks JH, lots of old Willys in the hills of Java.

1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
Unread 03-25-2015, 07:02 PM   #12
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colojeepguy View Post
I don't think that's a CJ-2A.
Looks like an M38 to me...that's the Korean War era military Jeep.
I'm basing this on the grille and the dash which are unique to the M38, and the handle on the side of the body by the filler neck.
Does it have the large diameter military fuel filler?
Regardless, it looks like a very nice Jeep, and it sounds like you got a very good deal on it!
It wouldn't be the first Jeep I have hauled home and found it "not as described".

There are numerous parts on it which look military and not civilian but it is highly possible that this Jeep was in the Indonesian military and even more possible that after it left the service it was subject to further mods and "dress up". It does however have what I believe is a CJ2A dash, the pictures are not that clear, and the fuel filler looks normal.

The problem with buying old Willys in Indonesia is that you are never entirely sure of the history. Thsi is what I have pieced together over the years and it is probably wrong.

A batch of CJ2A were sold to the Dutch government in 1946 and early 1947 and shipped to Indonesia prior to their being evicted from their former colony. The US had scrapped vast numbers of MB/GPW at the end of the war, hence new vehicles were being produced and the factories in the US were kept working. A 1946 or 1947 Willys is relatively common as a result.

There were also MBs and GPWs in the Dutch fleet. I have seen photos of Dutch East Indies troops in MB/GPWs which apparently date from early 1942, in which case the Japanese seized them in 1942 and the Dutch may even have reclaimed some in 1945. But it is not clear how many were reclaimed. Lots of them in Indonesia and even more faked from early CJs.

Nearly all the 1946 and early 1947 CJs would have been taken into service by the new Indonesian military so if it can be dated correctly it is quite possible it spent time there. Indonesian military motor pools are no different to any other, they wil fix and mend and blend vehicles to keep an operational fleet.

The US gave or sold (not clear which) vehicles much later to Indonesia and I have seen the occassional Mutt and M38 which would only have come from US military stocks. From the mid 60s, after Indonesia disposed of their communists, the US provided all sorts of military assistance. If it was an M38 or Mutt it would be sold for a much higher price, Mutts run to about $15,000 and M38s probably $10,000.

They also kept them for a long time.

I will be back on here with more details once I have it home and we can have some fun with "what is this part".

1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
Unread 03-25-2015, 07:17 PM   #13
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby533 View Post
Bagus , I had a 505 turbo once upon a time. Poor oil pressure to the turbine so it burnt up a few. Nice car, but no one in the states supported it.
I remember the 505, it was a typically Peugeot large car design. At the time Citroen were producing the CX and the sophsticated Frenchie technocrats had the CX and the down to earth peasants had the Peugeot.

The older 504 was a very common vehicle in Africa until very recently, big and clunky but easy to fix and lots of spares. Spent lots of time in 504s back in the day on potholed tracks in Nigeria and further south.

They also make very good small cars, economical and cheap and fun to drive a lot of yong people have them with big sound systems etc.

1981 J20 258ci - Gladys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.