CJ2A qustion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ2A qustion

Save 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
1981policecj7
1981 CJ7 

CJ2A qustion

I'm trading a 64 Oldtown canoe for a 47 CJ2A. Besides frame rust, limited body rust, and a half working engine, what else should I be checking for? I'm picking this up as a project to restore. Also, I'm planing on towing it back to my house from the owners place, about an hour drive. Could my 81 CJ7 with the straight 6 handle that kind of weight on an open trailer?

1981policecj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Can't advise much on the CJ-2A, but if you are dead set on towing it home with your 7, I would stick to back roads at less than 30mph if I were you.

The Jeep will handle getting the trailer moving no problem. It's stopping/steering in emergency situations that will raise problems. The trailer will quite literally push your 7 aside. Ever seen the police do a PIT maneuver? Yeah, the trailer will do that in a heartbeat to your Jeep if you try to turn or brake suddenly.

Been there, done that in an Isuzu Trooper with a lightly loaded trailer (around 2500lbs total trailer weight). Some bonehead pulled out of a driveway almost right in front of me while I was doing 50mph. All I did was stomp on the brakes (didn't lock anything). The trailer shifted a little and the rest is history. I've got reasonably good reactions and I still to this day have no idea exactly what happened. One heartbeat I was stepping on the brake, the next I was showered in glass from the driver's window. It was like "SCREEECH/BANG!!" Exactly as fast as you read it. There was no time to react.

Just be careful and keep it slow. If anyone's in a hurry they can go around you. Preferably get a hold of a 3/4 ton pickup or a 1/2 ton 4X4 at a minimum.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2011, 11:15 PM   #3
1981policecj7
1981 CJ7 

Yeah if I do end up towing it with the 7, I would keep it on back roads. After hearing your story though, I'll probably get one of my buddies to lend me their truck for the day.
1981policecj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 12:10 AM   #4
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1981policecj7
Yeah if I do end up towing it with the 7, I would keep it on back roads. After hearing your story though, I'll probably get one of my buddies to lend me their truck for the day.
Good idea, on the buddies truck.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 06:24 AM   #5
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

get a bigger tow vehicle (you can not have a big enough tow vehicle)
be sure the trailer has brakes

not worth losing a bunch of your stuff because you can not stop and hit some fool that pulls out in front of you. They seem to know you are towing and are overweight when they pull out in front of you and then stop to turn left.

your tow vehicle should have a stopping weight capacity of 1 1/2 your total load, (tow vehicle and weight of your trailer)
cops will not bother anyone until you hit someone from behind then they come out with weight scales and determine you are overweight,
you figure the rest
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 07:31 AM   #6
bkeese
1949 CJ3A 

You said frame rust and limited body rust, I would expect the reverse. Those frames are very stout, all the bodies have been swiss cheese, even the "nice original" ones. I would expect that you will have to buy a repo body. Check the frame around the spring perches. I sold one years ago to a guy that flat towed it an hour home. The springs broke in half pulling into his driveway. You said restoration, is that to be exact as it left the factory or with mods? The brakes suck on these old jeeps, 8.5" if I'm not mistaken. I've had to use both feet to keep from rolling backwards at a stop light. Top speed is 60 mph, but 50 is more realistic because of 5.13 gears.

Good luck, and get ready for plenty of thumbs up!

Tags
buying advice , jeep cj7 , jeep willy , rust , towing capacity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.