CJ2A build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ2A build

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #16
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Thanks guys.

CJ8 Build Thread<---- Click
Rollbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #17
wb3eim
1951 CJ3A 

Just got done rebuilding the dana 30/44 axles and getting ready to install. Thinking of a 1" or 2.5" lift kit. What are thoughts on upgrading the shackles? Would a cj5 lift kit fit then?
wb3eim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #18
wb3eim
1951 CJ3A 

Progress

Here is a link to photos of the build http://s1370.photobucket.com/. I have been thinking about steering and exhaust. I have the steering from a 74 CJ5 I was thinking of using, it's not power but would work better than stock 2A. Anyone ever adapted the box mount to a 2A frame? Also headers versus stock manifolds any opinions?
Unread 02-15-2014, 04:07 PM   #19
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

I have a warn OD on my 60 willys and can barely do 70 but with the windshield down i can hit 75 and i have a f134. It takes me almost 3 minutes to reach 70 and with my 5.38s and 235s thats still screaming. These type of jeeps were not meant to go fast. They were used on farms hence the option of PTO to use different attachments. we had a 72in mowing deck on mine and it was used to cut the grass FWIW. There a lot of fun, dont get me wrong but they are not meant for highway speeds. I can tell you that I drove mine from hanover PA to Ocean city MD in my willys which is about 180 miles one way and back and it was scary. 4 wheel drum and manual brakes are not the best for abrupt stops just to let you know.
seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #20
tiptoptune

another vote for warn or saturn overdrive and keep stock axles. Buy a new overdrive, used ones can be troublesome and pop out of gear. I have 225 in a 2a, using a 4 blade oem type metal fan blade and a good fitting shroud. Not sure of what radiator. Cools good.
tiptoptune is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2014, 07:59 AM   #21
wb3eim
1951 CJ3A 

Thought about keeping the stock axles but the front pinion and ring were not shimmed properly and ate each other up. I bought a 74 CJ5 and put the Dana 30 front and 44 rear in as well as the T-14 trans and D20 T case. Just wondering about the 74s steering and how to adapt it along with if I should go with headers or stock manifolds. Also I have the stock radiator from the L134 I've heard some use it with no problems or should it be updated. Thanks, Stan
Unread 02-16-2014, 04:01 PM   #22
duffer
1955 CJ3B 

Ok, just some rambling thoughts. First, it would be very wise NOT to use the T86. They may shift better and be a bit less noisy than the T90 but they are weaker and parts are hard to find. Worst CJ three speed but slightly better than the T84 of the MB/GPW's.

Realize that the D20 is a 2:1 low range versus the 2.46 of the D18. Aftermarket gears are available for both but that is expensive. The two really big advantages of the D18 are the lower rear driveshaft angle and the overdrive option. As to gears for a 225, 488's and an overdrive work really well. If the 225 is a little built, no problem doing 75 all day. If you do stick with the 18 (and I would build it using the case from your D20) and want an overdrive, the original Warn's are better than the Saturns. The Saturns use a cheesy diecast shifter fork which break on a regular basis (Warn's use bronze and I have never had one of those break).

If I were doing this, the axles would be a front D30 and a rear D44-offset-and keep the D18. You can make a pretty decent D44 from the stock axle by putting a full float kit in it. The next best option is a flanged offset D44 from the 70 1/2-71 CJ's. You get 30 spline axles with either but the latter are hard to find.
duffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.