CJ10 conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ10 conversion

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 03-02-2007, 02:00 AM   #1
cj10

CJ10 conversion

Hi all this is my first post on here

I have 2 CJ10 jeeps one has a 316 rambler engine with a 727 torqueflight auto gearbox. The other has a 307 chevy with the original jeep 4 speed manual, I am looking at putting a late model fuel injected mottor (maybe an LS1 or 2) and was wondering if anyone has done a late model conversion into this model. My biggest hickup is i want a 4speed auto with overdrive, Does anyone know of a good box that will fit with minimal modification and without spending a bucket. I want to retain the use of 4 wheel drive also.

Thanks in advance for any replies

cj10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2007, 03:05 AM   #2
NCCJ5ER
1976 CJ5 

Post some pictures if you can...

Well I know very little about the 10 but by the pictures I have seen you should have enough wheel base to fit a 700R4 or 4L60E transmission behind the chevy engine. Unless the 307 needs to be replaced I would go to a salvage yard and find a TBI system off a late model Chevy truck with a V8 and one of the fore mentioned transmissions, look for one with a NP205 transfer case and you won't have to worry about an adapter. Then pull the TBI, wiring harness, transmission and transfer case, bolt them behind the 307 and install the TBI now you have a fuel injected Chevy with an overdrive transmission.

Check these guys out for some tips on the TBI install... http://www.bustedjeep.com/projects/junkyardtbi.asp

Look up the casting numbers on the 307 and see if it is the truck or car version, some of the car ones are worth some money to guys restoring old Chevy's. Not to mention the truck versions have a real stout bottom end but not much power.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser. Americans despise cowards. Americans play to win all of the time. I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost nor will ever lose a war; for the very idea of losing is hateful to an American." Patton's speech to the 3rd Army on the night before D-Day.

Last edited by NCCJ5ER; 03-02-2007 at 03:16 AM..
NCCJ5ER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2007, 06:10 AM   #3
high51977

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj10
Hi all this is my first post on here

I have 2 CJ10 jeeps one has a 316 rambler engine with a 727 torqueflight auto gearbox. The other has a 307 chevy with the original jeep 4 speed manual, I am looking at putting a late model fuel injected mottor (maybe an LS1 or 2) and was wondering if anyone has done a late model conversion into this model. My biggest hickup is i want a 4speed auto with overdrive, Does anyone know of a good box that will fit with minimal modification and without spending a bucket. I want to retain the use of 4 wheel drive also.

Thanks in advance for any replies
307 chevy? Chevy had a 305 and Olds had the 307 that they used in some chevy wagons bell pattern are the same but the parts are different and don't interchange IMO your best bet would be to find a doner vehicle that way you have all your computers and harnesses to make it work. Good luck and lets have some pics
high51977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2007, 06:50 AM   #4
cj10

thanks guys will post some pics soon do you know wether the 4l60E can be fitted to the original transfer case or do i have to get the whole thing from a late model chev truck, as i am in australia i dont think there will be many of these lying around

Cheers
cj10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2007, 09:58 AM   #5
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by high51977
307 chevy? Chevy had a 305 and Olds had the 307 ...
Chevrolet 'built' 10 different SBC configurations, 262, 265, 267(de-bored 305 motor), 283, 302, 305, 307, 327 , 350, and 400.

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...

Last edited by JoonHoss; 03-02-2007 at 10:20 AM..
JoonHoss is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.