CJ or YJ windshield/defrost. Your opinions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ or YJ windshield/defrost. Your opinions?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
86cj7pete622
1986 CJ7 

CJ or YJ windshield/defrost. Your opinions?

Guys,

I did the CJ/YJ tub swap and now it's time to decide on which windshield and defrost to go with. I have windshield frames from both models (both in pretty good shape) and both defrost boxes. I don't have the YJ vents that head up to the windshield.

I love the CJ dash, so I'll be going with the old defrost pull knobs. I have a welder so I can fab up the defrost holes at the cowl that are needed for the CJ windshield. And I can fab up the windshield vents around the CJ dash if I go with the YJ windshield. Either way, I know some fabbing is needed, so I wanted your opinions.

Which setup is better? Which would you go with if you had both windshields?

Thanks,
Pete.
86CJ7 258, YJ Tub, 33", 4" BDS

86cj7pete622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
Mickey_Mouse
2013 KK Liberty 

Mickey_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Unless you modify the cowl and the YJ windshield frame you won't be able to use defrost with that combo. The YJ defrost came out in front of the dash and ducted up to the windshield and the CJ goes thru the cowl and thru the windshield frame. Some cut the oval holes narrower in the existing YJ tub without changing it, but myself, I cut out that section of the tub cowl and welded the piece from the CJ in and will be using a CJ windshield frame. I do agree, however, that the YJ windshield wiper linkage was much more robust than the CJ.

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Mickey_Mouse
2013 KK Liberty 

Mickey_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.