CJ wouldn't start today????then fired right up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ wouldn't start today????then fired right up

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
OlivergreenCJ7
2001 TJ Wrangler 

CJ wouldn't start today????then fired right up

Got back form running an errand today and I turned the jeep off to go open up my garage doors. When I went back to start the jeep nothing. No volts, no clicking, nothing electrical worked. I got my volt meter out check the volts at the battery 12v+, check the volts on either side of the starter solenoid 12+v checked volts with the key at the on position and had less than 4 V at the solenoid. Checked my connections everything was clean and tight. Went to check the key again and it fired right up. Any guesses? Could it be a loose ignition switch, bad solenoid, starter, etc. I had the battery load tested at is was good to go. I turned the jeep off and on a couple times to try to recreate the power out, but no luck.

thoughts?

Unread 08-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

You did say "nothing electrical worked", does that mean a total electrical failure or just that the jeep wouldn't start?

How hot was it there today?

I'd start with checking the main ground connection if it was indeed a total electrical failure.

Good luck.......
'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
jkoch8819
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Are you sure you did not have it in gear?
Unread 08-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
OlivergreenCJ7
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The gear situation wouldn't be a problem on a 79 CJ7, but yes it was a total electrical failure. Nothing worked... not even my winch hooked up straight to the battery worked. After checking for loos connections and some choice swear words it fired right up. It wasn't to hot or anything, but I'm not a jeep engine Would it be possible for a loose connection inside the starter solenoid? Fired right up today, but I would like to have a answer for the frustration I had yesteday. If you guys can think of anything please chime in.
Unread 08-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
philodox
1985 CJ7 

This just happened to me. I have an '85 CJ-7. Turns out the computer was fried. I continued using it sparringly until eventually it was DRT... Turned out I needed to replace the entire wiring harness and computer. I was lucky to find a complete wiring harness for an '85 to include the computer to swap it out.

I know your '79 doesn't have a computer, wish I could help point you in the right connections.

FYI, starter solenoid doesn't carry voltage unless you are cranking the engine.

-Jon
philodox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
sireland67

My neighbors 74 Ford truck did almost the same thing last week.
Would not start, battery showed good juice.
We cleaned the battery terminals and no help, which were pretty clean to start with.
Turned out that the battery had a shorted plate in it.
sireland67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlivergreenCJ7 View Post
Nothing worked... not even my winch hooked up straight to the battery worked.
This comment speaks volumes. It has to be the battery.
'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 10:56 PM   #8
egotrp68
1978 CJ5 

as silly as it may sound. I was doing some re-wiring the other day and ended up with the same results, nothing, no click and everything metered OK. The positive cable on the battery felt tight, gave it another half turn on the nut and wammo, fired right up.
egotrp68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 11:12 PM   #9
zeronight
1982 CJ7 

batterys can do weird stuff. one time i was riding with a friend of my in his 98neon (nothing ever done to it and this was years ago) we stopped at a car lot in the fall and after 15min of sitting it would not start, lights wouldn't go on, nothing electrical had power, i checked his battery water level and i added half a bottle of aquafina water and it started right up.
zeronight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 11:24 PM   #10
grandcj

I had a similiar problem to this in my '86.a long time ago. I would wiggle some battery wires around it it would start. started fine for a while and did it again. i finally realized it was the ground going from the battery. it looked ok upon casual inspection. the bolt was a bit loose and the terminal toiuching the bolt was kinda rough. clean it and make sure the ground is tight.
grandcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 07:58 AM   #11
79jeepincj7
1979 CJ7 

My 79 did this many times, I'd turn it over and it would just click then i'd lose everything. I changed the starting solenoid and took the starter wire battery wires off, cleaned them up, put new wire ends on them and I never had the issue again.

The VIN says its a 79 CJ
79jeepincj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
battery , battery cable , battery terminal , cranking , solenoid , starter , starting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.