Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

CJ won't stay running.. no clue!

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Rollbar 
#1 ·
at one point a couple weeks ago my scrambler stalled and I thought it was out of gas, (gas gauge is always off) so I got more gas, but still didn't start,

I was in the road but at home...

I was thinking fuel wasn't in the line so it took a bit... I poured gas into line before Carb, and primed the carb, it turned over like a charm, and started, and it will stay running until that gasI primed it with is gone, then it will tall out.
I primed it again, and actually had enough fuel to drive around the corner and put her in the driveway, then once the fuel in the carb was gone she stalled again.

I replaced the sending unit, and then also replaced the fuel pump, (it's mechanical pump) it's a 360 from 72-75 era

I tried to start her up and still the same issue... again I can force feed the carb through the line after the fuel filter that connects to the carb, and it will run until that gas is burned off.

so at this point I have installed:
new sending unit
new pump
new fuel filter

and still the fuel isn't getting to the carb...

I was thinking on installing an electric pump in line, (AZ has one for less than $50) but before I did anything else I wanted to check with the forum....

any thoughts?

thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
update

I picked up the pump from AZ, and just installed that the fuel still doesnt get to the pump,
I'm running to the store to get some more flexible line I will run a hasty line from tank to pump to see if the steel rod line is rusted...

any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

#4 ·
It's been a while since I've messed with the sending unit. Doesn't it have a couple fittings on it?.. Maybe you hooked the fuel line to the vent fitting when you replaced the sending unit?

When I was building my current CJ5, I had a similar issue shortly after getting the rig running. I disconnected the inlet line to the pump, pinched off the vent lines with Vise Grips, shoved an air nozzle into the filler neck (sealed with a rag) and slowly pressurized the tank. Eventually, a chunk of crud spat out of the end of the fuel line.. along with 1/2 gallon of gas (note to self.. point fuel line into container).

#5 ·
The other thing I would check,
Sometimes the little 'Sock Filter' in the tank comes off, and you don't get to the bottom of the tank anymore...

How much fuel is in the tank?
Enough to reach the suction tube without the sock filter?

#7 ·
Hopefully the sock filter is OK, I put a new sending unit in, but definately had the same thought of gas on my way back from A/Z, so I grabbed another 5 gallons and threw it in the tank for good measure, so I have close to 10 gallons in the tank.

I think it's going to come down to that steel 5\16th sending unit line... (or atleast I hope)

thanks for the reply...

#6 ·
Hey Thanks for replying, I was beginning to think the forum has been abandon'd lol...

anyways I checked the lines, one is 5\16 (from the sending to the pump) and the other is 1\4 (return off the Fuel filter), and they are matched accordingly.

I think I'ts been multiple problems, but at this point I definately need to replace the 5\16 line from the sending unit, I did sort of the same as you, and used my compressor to check the line, the first time it was ok, and it created a vacuum to start moving the mogas through the lines, then stopped...

I checked the line again for pressure, and found that I now have a area of the line that is rotted through... so I will have to get new steel line to run....

one step closer lol

#9 ·
any recommendations on the steel line?
not sure where to get some flexible, to run it the way it was...

I was thinking on just running a couple pieces of straight from the front to back, and finish the ends off with rubber...

I don't mind bending, I refabricated the steel from the fuel pump to the filter/ carb, but figured working a long run might be better off with just a couple straights connected with a coupler...

any thoughts???

#11 ·
I installed mine w/a 360 motor, the fuel line has a coil around the end that will be in the engine compartment. It helps dissipate heat, I think.

Fuel line @ engine compartment.

Fuel line running around from tank to front.

Note: they do give you the clips/bolts to hold down the line.

#13 ·
I'll have to look at mine and see what will be best, I would love to do what you did, but I'm not at the point of starting from scratch, snaking it through everything from back to front will be an issue, I'll take some pictures of mine and post soon, I've had it for a couple years, was just looking at the line, and it's run up over the shock mount and everywhere, so I'll just hjave to play by ear...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.