Cj Won't Start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cj Won't Start

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-30-2003, 07:55 PM   #1
Tuts

Cj Won't Start

Hey, here's the deal. My 74 cj5 w/304 v8 won't start. It doesn't even turn over. It makes one click when i turn the key but then all the electricity in the jeep goes out. I tried to jump it... switched batteries and then switched the solinoid for a new one i had. Still the exact same thing. Any ideas? I'm at the end of my rope.
Thanks
Tuts

Jeep pics up and running.
Blue Jeep Club Member #35
Tuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2003, 08:02 PM   #2
rock-rod

Sounds like you need to clean your battery connections! replace the battery cables and clean the battery terminals and that should do it. Consider an Optima or some kind of gel cell gas recombinant battery to eliminate this problem all together. I used to fight this same problem until I switched to the Optima. I have never had the problem again, and the Optima has been there for 5+ years. They really are great batteries.
'85 CJ-7, fuelie '73 401, NV 4500, Atlas III 4.3, 14 bolt FF rear, Dana 60 front, full width axles, Detroits F&R, 4 wheel discs, spring over front, coils and reverse 4link rear, 100 in wheelbase, 42 inch Swampers on hummer beadlocks.
rock-rod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2003, 08:33 PM   #3
sampson9dk

Agreed...sounds like battery terminals arent making a good connection. Somewhere along the line a wire is loose.
sampson9dk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2003, 08:35 PM   #4
liftedred84cj7

starter wire

I had this problem once myself and it turned out to be the wire atached to the started it had vibrated loose and wasnt making a good connection I think if u tried to jump it with a new battery it definately isnt the terminals at the battery
Amc Model 20 Rear
4" Suspension Lift
3" Body Lift
33" BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A
liftedred84cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2003, 09:54 PM   #5
Incredable

i wanna say it sounds like you alternator is about to die
Incredable is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2003, 11:00 PM   #6
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

try taking the jumper cables right to the starter see if it spins ground to the motor mount or frame then touch the sol to the starter side that will rull out the starter
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2003, 11:39 AM   #7
derm

Besides a good cleaning of the battery cables, clean all the grounds in that circuit- to frame, body and starter cable attatchment.
derm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2003, 12:52 PM   #8
sbestmann

Your starter could be locked up. Try to give it a good smack with a hammer - sometimes that helps to break it loose. If it was the starter, you need to rebuild it or buy a new one.
sbestmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2003, 12:58 PM   #9
Tuts

Thanks, it was the starter. Also, the alternator wasn't performing quite up to par so i had that replaced. The starter is due in tonight and from there, i'm off to camp. Thanks for all the help.
Tuts
Jeep pics up and running.
Blue Jeep Club Member #35
Tuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.