cj wont start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj wont start

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-14-2003, 07:36 PM   #1
daytoncj

cj wont start

my 79 cj 7 sputtered out while i was driving today. i thought it was just the carb acting up because yesterday it would not idle well. so i sat there for a few minutes to make sure i didnt flood it and tried to start it. it just would not. but it was trying to turn over. after a few more minutes it wouldnt even crank. the battery is new within the last two months. anyone give a suggestion on what to check or to do. thanks.

daytoncj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2003, 08:27 PM   #2
MudLover

Check the fuel filter? Could also be the fuel pump. Both are easy to replace so I'd start there.

Marc
[B][COLOR=darkred]Red Jeep Club Member #2[/COLOR][/B]
MudLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2003, 08:28 PM   #3
knifeboy2

I'm a little confused on exactly whats wrong. Was it making any noises? What do you hear when you turn the key? When you say it was trying to turn over do you mean it was turning over real slow or was turning over and not starting? Did it die while you were driving down the road or what? I need you to list an exact list of noises, smells, whatever led to it not starting so I can better help.
Unread 05-15-2003, 09:01 AM   #4
Chad Churchill

What carb. do you have??
When I had my Webb I had to push in the gas a little and turn the key...
Also, when it died, was it a dry or wet day? It could have to do with your ignition system...
'84 AMC CJ7.. 4" rancho 9000 9 way+ 1'' Tow Shacks+ 1'' BD, 9,000 warn winch, 33''BFG mudd, T176,Danna 300 with Twin shifter,44 front,20rear,4.56 with locks, 258beefed, w. fuel injected!,MSD,new white paint, all new intr., and two onbord airs. Member of TMTC, member of offroadministry, and go 4x4ing all over the U.S.A.!!!
'98 TJ... 4" Teraflex with rancho 9000 9 ways. 33" all's with solid Axles and 4.56 with locks.. Hunter green and ready to go..
Chad Churchill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2003, 09:36 AM   #5
CSP

Sounds like a bad alternator that lead to a dead battery. You should charge the battery and take the entire Jeep to an auto parts store for a charging system check. It's usually free. Once you have the charging system checked and fixed you can determine if there is a problem with the fuel system.

My guess is the alternator died taking out the charge in the battery with it. The sputter probably wasn't the carb, but a lack of electricity to power the spark plugs. Hard to tell over the internet though. You have to pick through the problems separately instead of guessing on them all at the same time.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2003, 11:49 AM   #6
mad_matt

After it died the battery cranked normally? If it was the battery or altornater then it should die dead with no crank.Ya might want to check the coil. If it is goin out it will stop dead when it heats up and crank and crank with no spark to start it. They check it for free at an autoparts store.
mad_matt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2003, 12:45 PM   #7
Chad Churchill

Yeah... But if the battery was not dead before the alternator went out, then the battery would have enoph power to just turn or crank it... If it is a bad alternator donít play around get it tested and replaced... One of my good friends, his went out and cought his jeep on fire... I think, by what your saying if it just died then the Distributor cap might be bad... might want to check that out...
'84 AMC CJ7.. 4" rancho 9000 9 way+ 1'' Tow Shacks+ 1'' BD, 9,000 warn winch, 33''BFG mudd, T176,Danna 300 with Twin shifter,44 front,20rear,4.56 with locks, 258beefed, w. fuel injected!,MSD,new white paint, all new intr., and two onbord airs. Member of TMTC, member of offroadministry, and go 4x4ing all over the U.S.A.!!!
'98 TJ... 4" Teraflex with rancho 9000 9 ways. 33" all's with solid Axles and 4.56 with locks.. Hunter green and ready to go..
Chad Churchill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.