CJ wont idle, drives fine but dies at a stop... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ wont idle, drives fine but dies at a stop...

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 04-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
JeepinYahoo
1977 CJ5 

CJ wont idle, drives fine but dies at a stop...

Like it says above. It dies every time I stop or any time I try to let it idle. It was running great before I took it out on a big 4 day wheeling trip, it got rode pretty hard and halfway through the trip it started doing this. During the trip I did lose my muffler, and about an hour later I could not keep the engine on with the clutch pushed in without revving the engine to keep it from dying. Probably unrelated but I thought I would mention it.

I have a MC2100 carb and the same thing happened to me with my Ford years ago after I got the engine all muddy. I cleaned out the carb with a can of carb cleaner and it was fine again for years. I figured I probably got some dirt in there this time too but it wont clean out this time so I thought it might be something different.

If anyone has any suggestions about what this might be I would love to hear them and get this little issue fixed so I can hit the trail this month. Jeep has HEI dizzy, MC 2100 carb and I think the rest of the engine is stock.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.