Cj windshield instalation? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cj windshield instalation?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 01-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
scooter18155
1983 CJ7 

Cj windshield instalation?

What is the best. Way to replace the glass in a windshield? Is it better to put the seal on the glass first then work around frame or put on frame and work around the glass? It seems with the seal on glass first I'm trying to get it into the frame I am pulling the rubber off the glass and having issues getting the rubber seal into the frame. I tried using a string around the rubber but that ended up breaking on me. Any input or advice? I took a break from it before getting too agitated with it.

scooter18155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
EraqL

Best way is to put the seal in the frame and then install the glass. Pick up some cheap plastic windshield tools. Don't try and use a screwdriver! If the seals are older get some silicon lubricant to help things slide. Good luck!
EraqL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

When I did mine I put seal on glass, then used many fingers to start seal into frame then use a drift punch under the seal edge to help roll the corner in. It took my daughter and I 1/2 hour to install with no issues. We also lubed seal with a little soapy water. Good luck!
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
bucklee00
1981 CJ5 

i think i put the windshield seal on the glass, then put the glass and seal up against the steel frame, but im not sure. But some tips are to lube the hell out of it! i used wd 40, yeah it made a mess but it worked great(i guess soapy water would work?). And use a small rope, or weed eater string to run inside the seal. you then press the windshield against the frame with the seal installed and the rope pressed inside of the seal, and by pulling the small rope out of the seal it lifts the seal up to allow the frame to slide in.

Good luck! i broke the first one that i did, but my windshield frame was bent. The second time i was more careful lol
bucklee00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
scooter18155
1983 CJ7 

First time I tried I had it almost 1/2 way in and the damn string broke grrrrrrr lol. I doubled up the string this time but trying to get the seal started in the frame I keep pulling the glass out of the seal. I've done windows in my trucks before and none of them was this much of a royal pain. Gotta take breaks from it or my steel toe boot going to create a big hole in the window lol.
scooter18155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
HeathFinnie
1976 CJ5 

Did anyone use a sealer of some kind?
HeathFinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
HeathFinnie
1976 CJ5 

Also, I'm a bit confused on the seal. One side has two grooves and the other has one. The outside has to go around the flange on the frame, and one wide groove is obviously for the windshield, what's that other smaller groove for?
Unread 01-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #8
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Depends on what type of seal you have. One has a locking insert that goes in the outside and holds the rubber seal tight, the other doesn't. I've installed both. On the one without the locking ring I installed the seal on the glass first and then installed both in the frame using the rope method. On the one with the external seal I installed the rubber in the frame first, then installed the glass into the seal/frame and finally inserted the locking strip on the outside.
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

click this URL and follow these guys, many pictures, advice. i broke one trying to replace it and then when I went to purchase a replacement glass the glass guy charged me twenty bucks to install it since i brought the frame to the glass shop. better for me than breaking two of them.

http://www.jeepbrokers.com/jeep_proj...eplacement.htm

a really good write-up
jimdubose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #10
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Glass is one thing I do not mess with. It cost me $25 to have mine put in. Well worth it and it only took the guy about 10min.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #11
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
Glass is one thing I do not mess with. It cost me $25 to have mine put in. Well worth it and it only took the guy about 10min.
After doing mine myself, this gets my vote. I'll never do it again.
Unread 01-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdubose View Post
click this URL and follow these guys, many pictures, advice. i broke one trying to replace it and then when I went to purchase a replacement glass the glass guy charged me twenty bucks to install it since i brought the frame to the glass shop. better for me than breaking two of them.

http://www.jeepbrokers.com/jeep_proj...eplacement.htm

a really good write-up
There is no way id put a glass in that frame without repairing it and painting. Nice writeup but putting glass in a rusted out frame is silly. Not to mention rubber will go in easier on fresh paint than on rust.
VooDoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #13
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

best way to install the windshield is to drive down to the local auto window shop, pay the guy a few bucks to pop it in for you.. takes him minutes to do it..
Unread 01-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #14
kappa505
1980 CJ5 

Heating the seal will help a lot as well as using lube. I agree with the others about paying a pro. Not worth the time and risk of breaking it.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." Supposedly President Coolidge
kappa505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 04:26 AM   #15
HeathFinnie
1976 CJ5 

Thanks for the advice. That was also one of my ideas (to take it and just have it done). Think I will do that.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.