CJ W/ TBI 350. Fuel Pump Location - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ W/ TBI 350. Fuel Pump Location

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 01-21-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
DT5150
1983 CJ7 

CJ W/ TBI 350. Fuel Pump Location

i'm wondering if the postion of the fuel pump could cause running issues. mine spits and sputters and doesn't idle consistantly. also lacks some top end power. my fuel pump (from howell, along with the wiring harness) is mounted back by the tank, in front of it, up high. there's that thin little crossmember there where the forward edge of the fuel tank skid and the fuel tank itself bolts up. that's where it's mounted. height wise, it's about even with the top of the tank, maybe slightly above. i think i read somewhere that most guys mount theirs along the frame rail, beside the transfer case, protected by the skid plate. think my running problems could be caused by where the pump is mounted? everything else has been checked and tested, and i mean everything. i'm running out of ideas here...

Unread 01-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

Everything I have ever read or seen has been to mount it as low as you can, even Howell's install manual says to mount is along the frame rail by the skid plate.
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
DT5150
1983 CJ7 

it's been a while since i looked at howell's paperwork, but that's what i thought too...
Unread 01-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
bajaviking
1985 CJ7 

I don't run a Howell but my pump is located on the inside of the framerail. I would get the pump down low in a well protected spot.
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane"
bajaviking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
Alby63
1982 CJ5 

The inline pumps are designed to push fuel so they can't draw it from the tank very well. They rely on the natural siphoning to prevent them from running dry, thats why they need to be as close to the tank and as low as possible. I have mine mounted to the bottom of my tank skid plate. I cut the front off an old snapper mower and made the pump it's own skid plate. Try clamping the pump to the bottom of your skid plate, extend your fuel lines and see if that cures your problem. In my pic, it's the red plate.
Unread 01-21-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
DT5150
1983 CJ7 

interesting...
Unread 01-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Mine is mounted up on the front of the crossmember in front of the tank. I had it orginally under the xfr case skid with one of the fuel filters. when i started having starving problems i moved it back to the crossmember and have not had a problem with it since. (plus i can get to it and the filter much easier) the only other problem i had where i thought it was starving turned out to be that if you go from -6 hose (3/8") to the 5/16" fitting on the tank ( i used a clamp insted of brazing on an -an fitting) it would suck air so i had to reduce it down to the 5/16". THat and i crushed the line on top of the tank between it and a body reinforcment. When i dropped the tank you could see the flat spot in it.

Just a few ideas..
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #8
TiffanysCJ5

i have a '81 cj5 that i recently purchased... and i cannot find the fuel filter...!! i've checked all inside the frame... Nothing. Any suggestions?
TiffanysCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
madjeepist

did you look in the factory location? under the hood about 8" from the carb?
madjeepist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.