CJ vs TJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ vs TJ

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-22-2003, 08:58 AM   #16
knowlwk@snowhill.com
1980 CJ7 

If money is an issue....( I know it is for me).. be sure to check into the cost of insurance. A paid off CJ with just liability is much cheaper every month than full coverage on a TJ.

Unread 05-24-2003, 08:59 PM   #17
Mud!

Money for college does not factor much into this. I've been working since I've been 14, putting half of every pay check to a bank account for college and parents have a fair chunk of change waiting for me to go to college. I also live with my parents. If it so happens that it breaks down, utah has a light rail line that leads right to campus. I'm thinking this will be my toy that gets me around town. I've already got a bunch of 4wd catalogs and have been making plans for improvements. The jeep and the insurance are all coming from the other half of the paycheck. I've been saving for around 7 months and only have a month or two to get the required amount of money for my jeep. I'm a little worried about the insurance. Seeing how I have to pay my own insurance, the lower the better. Anybody have any experience for the insurance rates for a 17 year old male as the primary driver of a cj-7? The thought of breaking down on one my many trips to moab(it's only 5 hours away) is not the most pleasant experience but it's an adventure, right? See theres everything weighing against getting a jeep in the first place, but then again theres the huge allure of owning a jeep in the first place. Girls can't resist the curves of a cj-7? Heck I can't resist the curves of a cj-7.
Mud! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2003, 11:29 AM   #18
rok_toy

CJ!!!!!!!!!

If your worried about reliability...

put fuel injection on the CJ. There you go!!

My buddy has around 23k into his tj, that includes the purchase price.

I have around 10k into my CJ, including the purchase price...

Mine will go anywhere his will for half the money.

Just something to think about.

Good luck on whatever you pick.
Unread 05-25-2003, 12:52 PM   #19
mxg342
1984 CJ7 

I had my first CJ when I was 18. I paid 1200 a year and had a clean record. Just had liability on the jeep.
'84 CJ-7 Junkyard TBI 360/T18/D300, 4" 4WDH Lift, D44 front with ARB and HS/D44 Rear w/ Detroit, 4.56s, 36" Iroks, TFI, TJ flares, Homemade rocker guards and bumpers with swing out, Optima Yellow Top, M8000, York OBA, 6pt cage
"when you're up to your *** in alligators, it is hard to remember that your original intention is to drain the swamp"
mxg342 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2003, 01:05 PM   #20
knowlwk@snowhill.com
1980 CJ7 

Insurance on a jeep ain't pretty... and being a 17 year old male makes it even worse.. I don't know what it costs at that age.. but I know Geico quoted me a little over $100 a month for full coverage on a 1997 TJ sport model... and I'm 35 and married with 1 ticket in the last 5 years. I didn't shop around any, as i was just curious, so another company may be cheaper.

Liability on my CJ is like $130 every six months for $300k coverage (yours will most likely be much higher).

I don't think you're gonna like full coverage on a TJ at your age, most likely we be equal to your jeep payment.

Pay cash for a CJ and get liability... your monthly maintenance bill (replacement parts) will most likely equal a TJ payment... but you'll learn everything there is to know about jeeps while trying to keep it running... and in my opinion, working on a jeep is almost as much fun as breaking it in the first place... LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.