CJ vs TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ vs TJ

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-17-2003, 04:43 PM   #1
Mud!

CJ vs TJ

In the next couple of months I'm looking to buy a jeep. I was looking to get a CJ-7. My dad wants me to get a TJ just for the fact that new jeeps are supposedly more reliable. I'm gonna use this for my daily driver and a fair amount of offroading. I don't care to much for creature comforts I just wanna get the most sound mechanical jeep I can find. I like the look of the Cj-7s much better than the TJ's. Is there that much more reliablity in the TJs compared to the CJ-7s. Just give me anything you have to convince my dad that I should get a CJ instead of TJ. I've got between 4000 and 10000 to spend on this. I am only 17 so less is generally better but that is my price range.
Any comments will be appreciated
Thanks in advance
Drew

Mud! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2003, 07:35 AM   #2
Rescue35

Any vehicle will break. Spend 10K on a TJ and when it breaks you wont have the $ to fix it. Or spend $3K on a GOOD CJ and fix it up how you like it and keep some $ put aside for engine rebuilds , tranny swaps, and axle repairs.

Also a CJ is a much simpler design (KISS) it easy to learn to trouble shot and fix yourself. A TJ is a different beast all together. Just look at engine compartments. I could stand in the engine compartment of my 74 CJ5 w 304 V8 but a TJ with even a 4 banger is cramped for space.

I like TJs and may own one soon. The first vehicle I bought was a 1974 CJ5. I learned how to work on it and its quirks.

Either are a good choice. A CJ you can end up working on as much as you drive it. A TJ you could get in and go. It depends on how dedicated to working on it you are (or if you can afford to pay someone else to do it).
Rescue35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2003, 11:40 AM   #3
MudLover

I looked into getting a TJ before I found my CJ-7. Like Rescue35 said, you can just jump into a TJ and go without worying about anything. I think (just my own crazy Jeep opinion) that CJ's are the best Jeeps out there. As long as you are willing to put up with taking care of it and paying more attention to it than you would a normal vehicle. CJ's are a lot more fun to work on, a lot easier to work on, and a lot cheeper to work on.

From what I have been told, YJ's became a little better than CJ's in the relability area (I could be wrong). The reason I bring this up is because you said you like the look of the CJ-7 but you want a realiable Jeep. Here, you can mix the 2 together. You can get the hood, grille, and fenders from a CJ-7 and replace the ones on a YJ with them. It's kind of like a "clone" CJ-7 if ya wanna say that. When it comes right down to it, CJ's are a lot better vehicles for the do-it-yourselfer. Not many things can go wrong with a CJ that you can't fix yourself if you put your mind to it. TJ's on the other hand require a little better touch to fix things.

Hope that helps,
Marc
[B][COLOR=darkred]Red Jeep Club Member #2[/COLOR][/B]
MudLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2003, 12:22 PM   #4
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Well there are a ton of factors that you must weigh in on.
Most CJ'ers buy them for one or more of the following reasons:

a) Cheap
b) Easy to work on.
c) Easy to Modify
d) Not worried if i hit a tree while four wheeling.

A TJ will give you a much more comforatable ride, fuel injection, and better comforts right down to almost every component on the vehicle. The tub is galvanized, etc.

If you want a daily driver, go with the TJ.
If you want to wheel the piss out it and build it up, go with the CJ.
Unread 05-18-2003, 01:31 PM   #5
Chad Churchill

A TJ will give you a much more comforatable ride, fuel injection, and better comforts right down to almost every component on the vehicle. The tub is galvanized, etc.

This can be ture with BOTH.. My CJ-7 with much more comfratable to me then any TJ maybe not a YJ haha but look at the years they have had to inprove... My CJ-7 if MI Fuel injected, was $1,600.. did it my self.. I don't know why he would care if the Tub was galvanized or not, he might not know what that is..

hey MUD! If you could I would say look around for a 84 or 85, because they have the computers..
CJ-7, you can find them from $2,800 to $5,000 then you would have $$ left over to take the CJ-7 258 and up grade it to a 1995 Jeep engine... Then your Jeep will be reliable in the engine area... The T176 is a Reliable Tranny and the Danna 300 is very Reliable, well to me it has been.. and so has the AMC 20 rear
'84 AMC CJ7.. 4" rancho 9000 9 way+ 1'' Tow Shacks+ 1'' BD, 9,000 warn winch, 33''BFG mudd, T176,Danna 300 with Twin shifter,44 front,20rear,4.56 with locks, 258beefed, w. fuel injected!,MSD,new white paint, all new intr., and two onbord airs. Member of TMTC, member of offroadministry, and go 4x4ing all over the U.S.A.!!!
'98 TJ... 4" Teraflex with rancho 9000 9 ways. 33" all's with solid Axles and 4.56 with locks.. Hunter green and ready to go..
Chad Churchill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2003, 01:34 PM   #6
Rescue35

OR

You could always buy a built CJ 7-8K. Just get someone who knows 4 wheeling and CJs to go with you to give it a good going over.
Rescue35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2003, 10:24 AM   #7
holiday76

Quote:
Originally posted by Chad Churchill
I don't know why he would care if the Tub was galvanized or not, he might not know what that is..
because galvanized tubs don't rust as fast as the older ungalvanized cj tubs.

Quote:
hey MUD! If you could I would say look around for a 84 or 85, because they have the computers..
actually i'd have to dissagree with that statement if you plan on swapping the stock carter which is a piece of poo. Pre computer cj's have less to rip out which is what you'll have to do when you install a weber or the like. Most of the computer controlled components on jeeps get bypassed anyway to make them run better ( see TFI upgrade, nutter bypass, ect ect).
I would however say if you can find an 86, then take a look at that because it might have a dana44 rear axle with is more desirable then the ol amc 20.

Overall however I would have to say, for a daily driver, you'll have more chance of better luck with a tj. If you get a cj you'll most likely be in for an adventure. Having said that, my first vehicle when i was 16 was an 83 cj5
Good luck either way!
Unread 05-19-2003, 06:58 PM   #8
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

I hate these X verses Y threads, but feel like replying anyway. Keep it in perspective, You are comparing two Jeeps with an 11 year separation. A lot of advancements can occur in this time. I hate when Jeep books compare a 87 YJ to a 76 CJ to explain the YJ's "improvements".....NO, compare an 86 to a 87 OR a 95 to a 97 where there is the model change. Well, stock verses stock, the TJ's I have driven had no more noticeable power than my 86 CJ-7 and the ride was about the same with the TJ feeling a bit heavier. (note: my 86 has a 258 with all stock hardware and well greased leaves with RS9000's) The TJ's have nice plastic interiors and a new car smell. The later CJ's did have electo galvanizing dip as part of the process.....I have NO rust on my CJ except the exhaust manifold. Yes it is very hard the find a super clean and stock CJ, and almost all TJ's are new or like new. If you don't want to search, buy a TJ. It took me 3 years of searching every week to find mine. Well worth it to me. CJ's have 2 problems that can easily be fixed. 1) the 2 piece axles. I have spun both of mine with stock tires. Moser axles will fix it. Once switched to one piece, it is as strong or stronger than a 44 (I have both and can say this)The induction system is crap. I still run it, but will soon drop in a 4.0 from a late model Cherokee. Reliable?, yes, I drive mine everyday with no problems (it has 160K). Sure, you will replace items as the mileage goes up...you will on any car/truck. Comfort? A CJ can be very much so. I have AC, hardtop, carpet, 5 speed, CD player, alarm, tilt wheel, tach, clock, dome lights, heat works great, leather trim, etc., and yes it works off road very well. The TJ will give you all or most of these, but at a HIGHER price. I don't like the grade of plastics used in the newer Jeeps (the AMC plastics don't turn gray near as easy) I too like the classic look of the CJ and will never sell mine. BUT I would love to have a Rubicon TJ as well. You are more likely to find a CJ in your price range. Only you can decide. If you can work on your own Jeep, the CJ is great. The parts/labor of a newer TJ could add up fast. The more research you do, the better. Read JP magazine, go online and pic our brains here. In the end, it;s up to you.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2003, 09:06 PM   #9
Mud!

Wow, This forum really rocks. I wasen't expecting this kinda response but you all helped me out alot.
Thanks!
From what I've heard here I'm now definetly drifting towards the CJ. The TJ may appear in the future but not for now. I've got no problems searching for as long as it takes. I've been doing it for weeks. Who doesn't like to go around and look at jeeps? The thing that appealed to me about the CJ was the simplicity. The idea that I could do the labor myself without being a rocket scientest. I want to be able to fix a problem by myself instead of paying someone else alot of money to touch my jeep. I'll heed most of everyones advice.
I'll inform everyone when I get my jeep, with pictures of course.
Thanks
Drew
Mud! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2003, 11:52 AM   #10
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

2006 XK Commander 

Ditto to what most of what has been said ... course ask the same question in the TJ section and ... well...

98 XJ
LOCKED UP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2003, 02:32 PM   #11
Lightningdon

I own both a CJ('75) and a '97TJ. If you are not mechanically inclined and want a comfortable daily driver( no leaks, drips, breakdowns, etc) get the TJ. You get a good ride, reliability, and good on and off road manners. As far as working on the TJ , it's not that difficult. I pulled the head on my 2.5L in less than an hour. It's much easier to work on than my cars. Don't be intimidated. The CJ(older ones) can have so many trouble spots to watch for, you pretty much have to know your way around a car. The CJ is more fun to drive(if you don't mind the constant attention to which direction you're headed ) I think reliability is the key for daily drivers, though. I wouldn't dream of driving my CJ daily(800 miles a week). I do drive my TJ daily. The CJ is my weekend toy, and for those fun drives!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." (Edmund Burke)
Lightningdon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2003, 11:20 AM   #12
twmattox

Just a thought...you are of an age where you will have a lot to be thinking about regarding future. Be sure that a vehilce doesn't get in the way of affording college etc. It is just a vehicle (granted one that I would not be separated from). However, I waited till I was nearly 27 before I felt that I could afford a CJ.

They do take time and money to keep running. Expect to change all fluids, immediate tune-up, replace all u-joints, wheel bearings, brakes, clutch, hydraullics (for clutch or brakes), alternator, battery, water pump, and a few extras when you buy (if they don't all need replaced count yourself lucky and pocket the money). The thing is at least 17 years old now and will need the attention.

On the posative, you will definately learn a lot regarding proper vehicle maintenance and responsibility.
twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2003, 12:16 PM   #13
mxg342
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally posted by twmattox
Just a thought...you are of an age where you will have a lot to be thinking about regarding future. Be sure that a vehilce doesn't get in the way of affording college etc. It is just a vehicle
I couldn't have said it any better. College was my #1 reason for selling my first CJ. First off I wasn't sure if it would be dependable enough to make the 100 mile trip. Second if something did break I would have to fix it in the parking lot of an apartment. But on the other hand I really wish I still had the CJ. That is the reason that I've bought another one. Now I can play with the old stuff while still driving the TJ. College Life (not the tution and apt stuff) is very expensive and time consuming. you may not have the funds or time to keep fixing an older vehicle. Although on the other hand there are always problems with the newer TJ's too. Good luck with your choice. I got my first CJ when I was 17 too and it was a great ride. I learned a lot.
'84 CJ-7 Junkyard TBI 360/T18/D300, 4" 4WDH Lift, D44 front with ARB and HS/D44 Rear w/ Detroit, 4.56s, 36" Iroks, TFI, TJ flares, Homemade rocker guards and bumpers with swing out, Optima Yellow Top, M8000, York OBA, 6pt cage
"when you're up to your *** in alligators, it is hard to remember that your original intention is to drain the swamp"
mxg342 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2003, 01:02 PM   #14
Chad Churchill

Don't let the people get you down...
The Cj7 is a great car for college, this is my 2nd year and my CJ7 is still going strong. I have had my 84 for about 5 years now and yes I have to repair her or fix her now and then but what car is their that you should not have to take care of that is 19 years old? My jeep has been through a lot, changing very much! I am about to take it to college up in Wyoming. Where in the winter it can be -20 and summers can be in the 80d's... I would have to say that the Cj7 are reliable if you take the time and $$ to make then... yes a YJ is all ready to go, but you can make the Cj as or better then the YJ in every area... Also if you’re going off to college you need something that the girls think is cool!! I have never seen a girl that did not like the curves of the Cj7... and with the top down man..! you will be the Big Dog on campus....
'84 AMC CJ7.. 4" rancho 9000 9 way+ 1'' Tow Shacks+ 1'' BD, 9,000 warn winch, 33''BFG mudd, T176,Danna 300 with Twin shifter,44 front,20rear,4.56 with locks, 258beefed, w. fuel injected!,MSD,new white paint, all new intr., and two onbord airs. Member of TMTC, member of offroadministry, and go 4x4ing all over the U.S.A.!!!
'98 TJ... 4" Teraflex with rancho 9000 9 ways. 33" all's with solid Axles and 4.56 with locks.. Hunter green and ready to go..
Chad Churchill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2003, 07:13 PM   #15
Lightningdon

I always wanted a CJ. When I was 10 or 11 tried to talk my Dad into it. He was too practical for that, though. Fast forward 22 years....I bought the TJ 'cause I needed rock solid daily driver for the wife. Enter the '97. 2 years later, the '99 Cherokee for my daily driver. Summer of '99, I decided I was financially prepared for the trials and tribulations of a CJ. Enter the '75 CJ5. Long story short.... the TJ for reliability, no added expense of repairs(warranty) if budget minded. The CJ when you have disposable income and can afford to be down for repairs a day or so. Remember, when the TJ breaks, back to the dealer for the loaner. When the CJ breaks down( and it will), you have the expense and problems associated with the loss of transportation. Rentals, parts etc. Imagine being on the way to class when the CJ dies. More likely than the TJ. Do you want that headache when you have the pressure of classes and exams? Wait till you get out of school for the CJ. Unless you can afford the CJ and have alternate transportation when it breaks down. I know what it's like to break down at midnite, 100 miles from home and 50 miles from school! It is not fun!!!!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." (Edmund Burke)
Lightningdon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.