CJ vs. Cherokee in the mud - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ vs. Cherokee in the mud

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-03-2002, 08:25 AM   #1
Travis

CJ vs. Cherokee in the mud

I am working on a 76' cj5 and I have yet to have it in the mud. I also have an 89' Cherokee Laredo and it doesn't seems to fair so well in the mud. The last time I went out It got stuck. The left front and rear right were buried (dug holes) in the mud and spinning. The other two tires were on flat ground and not spinning. I have been told that the cherokee is limited slip and therefor not good in the mud. Is this true and if so how does the cj fare in the mud?

Travis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2002, 08:18 AM   #2
NC74CJ

hey as far as the limited slip goes....your right it sucks in mud. no comparison to a locker. as far as performance in the mud there are tons of factors beyond the vehicle type. mainly look at axles/tires. a 77 K30 with 44" drag slicks wont get any further in the mud than a geo prism would. For mud you need lockers front and back and MUD tires (boggers). this is regaurdless of the vehicle you are in. you could put a locker and good mud tires on a 2wd work truck and blow away 90 percent of stock vehicle in a rut. but you also have to take into account the weight of your vehicle, type of mud you are in, and most of all your driving style will affect how well you do in the mud. Good luck and keep em dirty

Bill
Unread 03-06-2002, 08:56 AM   #3
1911shtr

The CJ will probably do better in the mud stock. If you are interested in mudding then get warn locking hubs up front with a detroit locker. Get a detroit in the back with the axle upgrades if you can afford them. I have my front done but not my rear. I've been in soome hairy **** and didn't get stuck. I live in Kansas. plenty of mud
1911shtr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2002, 02:33 PM   #4
j.t.king

Ditto, and here is another factor:

HORSEPOWER

When building a mudder, think LOCKER, KNOBBER (as in tires) and POWER...

You need enough HP to keep those mud tires spinning and clean out the voids. Thats why missippi black and kentucky red are so tough - high clay content means gooey, sticky mud and will just stick in the voids making the most agressive tire perform like the aforementioned racing slick!

JT
j.t.king is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.